The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Mon 29 Apr 2024 03:12 PM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 16 Jun 2002 11:56 PM 
I would like any info on this guitar such as when it was produced and how many were made. This is a red (ash) guitar with stripes (maple), two pickups gold trim and three effects switches. Thanks for any info!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 17 Jun 2002 12:50 AM 
About all the info that is available is on the site here:

http://www.therathole.org/guitars/model ... _info.html

They were made in 1981, and as far as the number is concerned, it's extremely doubtful anyone other than JC Penney or Matsumoku will know for sure. There was one, and only one run of these guitars so needless to say they are exceedingly rare.

It's probably a good thing (for you anyway :grin: )I have trouble with a 25-1/2" scale. I am used to a 24-3/4" scale and play as much by feel as I do by sight and ear. My current financial situation doesn't help either (I'm broke and just barely made the hosting bill for the site :grin:

I hope you realize what a rare treasure you have just acquired and hang on to it for many years.

Post subject: Skylark's rule!
PostPosted: Thu 01 May 2003 01:42 AM 
This is great! I've had a hard time finding out information on this guitar.

I bought my Skylark 857-2596, serial # 106018, from a friend in 1983, I think. He needed money to pay his monthly payment on his wife's engagement ring. I paid $90 for it, and haven't regretted it, as it plays wonderfully, and is very versatile.

I'd always been a bit embarassed when someone asked me what kind of guitar I have and I say "Skylark". I knew he got it from JC Penny, but I also knew it was MUCH nicer than most shoddy guitars you buy from department stores. I just never knew the story behind it, and I'm very grateful to this site for it's information!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 11 May 2003 08:30 AM 
Virtuoso

gsh
Do you have a pic of your Skylark somewhere like on a web page?
I am curious to see what others look like.

I was lucky enough to relieve AP2 of his Skylark recently.
I love the miles of fretboard. Keep playing up the neck, no stop signs.
This site probably has the most info you'll ever find on it.

I'm waiting for the weather to change here in So Cal so I can play it again.
It played fine till the cold snap came in. The weather plays havoc on such
a long piece of wood. It started to buzz when it got real cold.

It will warm up soon then I'll see if the wood acclimates or if I need to adjust
something. I keep my windows open year round else I feel claustrophobic.
This year we had a real winter with real snow. Not the usual summer all year
round business we're so used to.

You've had yours so long. Do you notice much movement in the wood?

I should store my guitars in another room but I feel paranoid a serial killer will
steal them in the middle of the night. Never mind about my missing head.
jb

See it here:
http://www.therathole.org/guitars/model ... /2588.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 11 May 2003 04:34 PM 
Hey, jbyear1!

I slapped together a quick webpage with some pics of my Skylark. You can find it here:

http://jacobshrieves.150m.com/skylark/Skylark.htm

I've never noticed any difference in how it plays depending upon weather. I've never had it "buzz" on me, so I guess I can count myself lucky! It's my only electric (I'm far from a professional) so it's the only guitar I play, and it's been a real workhorse, and I love the different sounds it makes when you try different combinations of switches. The only issue I have with it so far is that some of the electrical contacts in the phase switches need to be cleaned; I get a lot of crackle if I try to change up on the fly. What's the easiest way to accomplish this?

Thanks, and enjoy the pics. She's got a few dents and dings in 'er, but the finish is still just beautiful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 12 May 2003 07:49 AM 
Virtuoso

gsh
Thanks for the pics. I see you have a beautiful red one.
Would you like to trade for a blue one?

Kidding :-)

So you got her in 83 from your bud who got it from JC Penny.
That means you got it practically new just about the time Penny was selling these.
Do you know if your bud got it out of the catalog or in person at the store?
Do you know how much he paid for it new?
You should see if he still has any of the original paper work stashed away.

You say you don't have problems with the weather. Lucky.
Mine came from a colder place near Canada and I'm in a Sub Tropic locale.
I'm letting the wood get accustomed to this climate then I'll make some adjustments.
If I can't fix it I'll ask AP2 for some advice since he is the resident expert.

Where do you live? You haven't filled that line in your profile. Notice some folks here
are from Europe, Asia, Australia, all over. Some folks have climate controlled homes
because the weather is so drastic.

The buzzing is not too noticeable when plugged into an amp so it is not so distracting.
I also like how you can dial-in a wide sound palate with all the options at your finger tips.
The designer thought of every possible pickup combination.

To fix a noisy switch or pot I use a drop of 3 in 1 or sewing machine oil after I blow/brush out
any debris like cobwebs, lint, mummified insect carcasses, and plain ol dirt etc.
Then I work it in by moving the switch or pot back and forth.

It has always worked for me but if that don't work it might me time for a new part.

Thanks for sharing, jb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 12 May 2003 09:04 AM 
I don't recall having intermittent action problems with the Skylark, but if I got a little agressive with the attack I could get it to buzz a bit. I normally use 10s, but considering the length of the scale I had planned to move ot 11s on it for that very reason.

If it is just one string buzzing it's not going to feel all that different if you raise that one saddle just a touch and that should alleviate some of the buzzing.

Another thing I have noticed is that if one player plays a guiatar over a long period certain areas of the frets will wear more than others. When I get the guitar it will buzz for me in certain positions. A spot level most often solves the problem, but if the uneven wear is extreme a complete level and re-crown might be necessary.

I live in Missouri, a humid state, and prone to rather extreme seasonal changes. I do keep my guitars in a controlled environment but in regards to temperature only. We do run a humidifier in the winter as the heat tends to dry things out, but without expensive equipment it's hard to be exact. Set necks will also behave differently than the neck-thrus.

Hey gshrieves, do you mind if I snag a few of your pics?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 12 May 2003 10:05 PM 
Hey, AriaProII, feel free to snag all the pics you want! Let me know if you want pics of something specific, I have a camera and can upload 'em anytime.

I live in Colorado, but bought the guitar from my buddy when I lived in Virginia, where he bought it. I have no idea how much he paid, I can shoot off an email and see if he remembers. I would doubt very seriously he has any paperwork for it.

So, it's very low humidity here, and I haven't had any problems with it staying in tune or anything. I've never had the neck looked at by a pro, but haven't noticed anything untoward. Like I say, it's been a solid guitar for me, and I'll wait until I notice some problems before I start messing around with it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 13 May 2003 12:52 PM 
Power Chorder

Hey Jb,
I bought mine from JC Penny's back in the early eighties. Not sure on the year. If I remeber correctly I think I paid $100-$150 for the guitar & case together. I got mine from the catalog, I don't remeber seeing them in the stores. I almost bought one of the red ones(because all the Aria's I had seen in the stores were red), but blue is my favorite color and it won out. I had no idea what all the switches did. All I knew was the blue cost a little more so it must've been better. I believe one of the red ones cost somewhere in the $80- $90 range. I can't remember which red one though. I wonder if JC Pennys keeps any of there old catalogs.

As far as paperwork goes. I don't have the receipt but I do have the owners manual. All of the useful stuff from it is already on this site. The scanned pics and table under Skylark Guitars.

I hadn't noticed any real changes in mine either when the weather changes. But I keep mine in a fairly controlled room.

Rich

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 16 May 2003 03:21 AM 
Virtuoso

I pulled the Skylark out of it's cocoon to see how it was doing, adjusted a couple of
saddles and POW. That sucker rattles my windows, unplugged.

I was afraid of raising the action too high but it feels OK.
AP2 was right that it was only buzzing in a certain area where it was played a lot.
I can really pound bar chords in the middle now. The lower registers are perfect.

I don't think it needs a spot level yet till it gets worn down a bit more. Then I'll put some
11s on it which I like anyway. Bending won't be so hard since the neck is so long.

I really dig that story from rich daddy O. If only we could have seen the future and got a
truckload of these for $90. I gleaned everything on the Skylark from the gallery.
It would be a gas to see an old catalog and find the guitars between the underwear and toasters.

Thanks, jb