The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Sat 18 May 2024 11:31 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 02 Jul 2008 06:02 PM 
Power Chorder

Location: Deepest Somerset (so deep I'm only about 2 miles from Devon!!!!) (England)
boringmichael wrote:
so i'll admit i love the natural finish/laminated stripe combo. does anyone know who started this style? my guess is alembic. i know kramer had similar models--the ones with the aluminum necks and ibanez made em too but i believe both were a few years after alembic. in any case someone at matsumoku seems to have liked em, god bless em.

I think it was Alembic who made the first multi-laminate through neck, although through necks weren't new then - the original Gibson Firebird - the one that looks like a rounded Explorer - had 0ne, and Paul Bigsby made one for Merle Travis in the 40's that had a through neck (he may have made more than that, it's just that the Travis guitar is very well documented)
http://www.stratcollector.com/newsdesk/archives/000103.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 26 Jul 2008 09:54 PM 
Power Chorder

rich_daddy_65 wrote:
I'll see what I can do. It probably won't be until next week. My guitar is all original with the exception of me putting strap locks on it.

Well looks like next week turned in to 1-1/2 years. Sorry about that. Here's a pic of the original switches and knobs.
Rich
http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb30/rjordt/Guitar/?action=view&current=Knobs.jpg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 28 Jul 2008 09:08 PM 
Virtuoso

Better late than never. 8-)

Ah, so the original selector knob is rounded.
I have the chicken head type which helps me see better where its pointing.

PostPosted: Tue 06 Jan 2009 02:00 PM 
Power Chorder

Hi!

I don't know if anyone is still coming to these boards, but I just want to thank anyone who is still out there for all the great information sharing here and the person who conceived the entire site and maintains it - well, you're a saint.

Being determined to find an uncle Matt for my small collection, I recently picked up a Skylark 2596 on eBay that is in pretty good condition. I have wanted one of these guitars for 28 years - ever since I saw them in the catalog and wished I had the money to buy one at the time. I did buy a Vantage at about the same time and loved that guitar and the lam body, but eventually traded it for a Strat. Anyway, having a Matsumoku guitar again and a Skylark in particular is something I am really appreciating. I have several other electrics, but just love the weight, the feel, the wood, and the beefiness of the neck without it being too thick or too wide - just right for my taste. I would also like to find a 2588 in good condition, but then - wouldn't we all!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 06 Jan 2009 02:46 PM 
Virtuoso

There's still a couple of us that come here. :D

We're kinda partial to the people that started this place also but I'll let some others weigh in on that saint business. :rofl:

I remember drooling over these in the jcp catalog myself. I also had a few Vantage catalogs and ended up buying an Aria Pro II in 81 never knowing they were all related.
Welcome.

And post some pics. We like pics. :rockwoot:

Post subject: Skylark 2596 - Pics
PostPosted: Mon 12 Jan 2009 01:13 AM 
Power Chorder

Okay, I think I've figured out how to do this...

But we'll find out when I submit...

This instrument is in pretty good shape. It is missing one string ferrule on the back - not sure how you lose a string ferrule, or whether I can replace it or not. I'm really pleased with how it feels and plays. I think it's already my favorite electric - and the tone knobs, coil taps, and phase switch actually do something, unlike many other guitars I've owned. Imagine that. I'm hooked! Now I want to buy another one...Of course, I'd also like to have an Aria or a Vantage as well...I really wanted a 2588, but I don't like heavy guitars and I've head they weigh a ton. I could put a Guitar Fuel active varitone-style booster on it and have almost the same controls, but I think I'll just leave it stock for now. I would like to get another string ferrule for it, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 12 Jan 2009 01:33 AM 
Virtuoso

Now that's what I call a great way to revive an old thread!

Had a 2588 but didn't like the scale. Always liked the looks of the middle Skylark.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 12 Jan 2009 07:13 AM 
Virtuoso

Location: Grand Absurdity, VA, temporary refuge of the Hollywood Avenger
It's a beauty, I'm jealous.

And, (dunno if I'm breaking forum rules here, edit me if I do) I think I have 6 ferrules here from a Vantage Avenger that I converted to a Kahler a million years ago...take dimensions & good pics & we'll see if I have what you need.

je

1981 AV-320
1981 AV-320
1981 AV-325
1982 AV-320
1982 VS-695-12
1982 VSH-445
1983 AV-330
1995 VST 33 CE TBK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 12 Jan 2009 08:30 AM 
Virtuoso

Nope, matter of fact I went digging through my parts as well.

Ferrules can be had from just about any guitar parts source. They are fairly common. You might have to replace the entire set if they look a little different. Things change a bit over a couple decades. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 12 Jan 2009 10:45 AM 
Virtuoso

I have a gold set. Send me the guitar and I'll install them for free. :devil2:

She is indeed a beauty. :love:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next