The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Fri 29 Mar 2024 08:04 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: No Rhythm
PostPosted: Wed 27 Dec 2006 02:24 AM 
Hi all,
I bought my Skylark 2596 at a garage sale several years ago. From the info I have seen here, my guitar is not quite original. Instead of 3 small switches, there are two, with the third spot holding an LED that goes on when the tail end small switch is flipped. Frequently, this makes my Peavy Audition amp crackle out

I get clear, full sound when the pickup switch is set to treble. When set to Rhythm, the sound is muddy or gone, then will sometimes fade in to full tilt, only to disappear again at random. The pots don't seem to effect the problem, nor does wiggling the cord. The neck end pot has no effect, while both of the others act only on the volume.

The whole setup is erratic and does nothing for me. I would rather just skip the fancy stuff and wire it as a "normal" dual pickup guitar. Can anyone suggest a wiring diagram that works well with this guitar?

Thanks,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 27 Dec 2006 08:40 AM 
Virtuoso

Hi Nottoscale,

It sure sounds like someone has added either a preamp or active pickups to the guitar. The original wiring of the guitar was pretty simple. Just two tones, one volume, two coil cuts, and a phase switch. Most decent shops can wire it going on this alone.

Stewmac has a number of diagrams, although not all are complete found under "Electronics, pickups wiring" on this page. That might be enough to get you back on the road again.

Post subject: No Rhythm - Follow-up
PostPosted: Sun 31 Dec 2006 12:41 AM 
I've not changed any wiring yet, but have noticed that the rhythm pickup will work if I play the bass-E string as loud as I can. It then buzzes in and seems fine. No such problems with the bridge pickup. Any idea what problem that might indicate?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 31 Dec 2006 12:48 AM 
Virtuoso

Now that sounds like a cold solder joint or weak connection.