The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Mon 29 Apr 2024 05:07 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Mon 18 May 2009 12:22 AM 
Axe Slinger

Hi all fellow Uncle Matt fans. Some lovely Skys here indeed. Have just purchased a Lark off The Bay in Australia. These are very rare here. The guy I bought it from got it, second hand a couple of years ago, in the US. So, this makes it very rare here in Oz! Not sure if they ever marketed them here, it seemed to be all Vantage, not Skylark.

When she gets picked up will post pickkies - how do you do that?

The Selller listed her flaws warts 'n all; a gentleman. Needs a neck screw, as one has been put in that isn't original. One tuner a bit sus. And no truss rod cover. They were white, weren't they? Anybody got any of these parts?...like to keep it in the proper Matt povenance if possible.

It's the lower end matte red one, the basic model. Haven't seen serial number yet. Looks to be in quite good condition.

One Q I do have is that the Seller says they are MMK 45 pups. The Skylark info on here says differently. Wouldn't it be a bit early for the MMK 45s? I'll have a look at the undersides when I get it for the telltale markings.

Jumped at chance to get one of these, already having a Vantage VS 695, a Westone Spectrum, and other JV guitars that are not Uncle Matts.

Yep, I'm a dag and a dork; just excited to pick one of these up! Pics will follow.

Graeme

PostPosted: Mon 18 May 2009 01:21 AM 
Virtuoso

Good pick up for the price.
I live in Australia as well and was watching this one to see how it ended.
Did you happen to have a close look at the pics.
There was a bit of damage around the three way stitch that I was not to sure about.
Might just be a simple fix for you (fingers crossed).

Can't wait to see the full set of photos when you get it.
Once again, well done.
Cheers
Don

PostPosted: Mon 18 May 2009 02:10 AM 
Axe Slinger

Thanks Don; so you were watching it too eh? Couldn't believe was only bidder. When Seller told me he bought it 2nd hand in US that clinched it for me. Knew his stuff. The hardcore know this website.

Yep, Seller spoke of toggle, and could see in pics was a bit of wear there. It seems like my old Vantage, a bit crazed/checked around the metal bits. Bought her new in '82, so know the drill with these crow's feet on them. No big deal, will see if gloss lacquer applied judiciously fixes/stays it.

I guess the truss rod cover not being there is no big issue. Depending on where original screw holes are might make one up from something and see if the real one ever comes along as a replacement (doubt it). Depending on how good tuners are, and how beatup the sus one is, perhaps may spoil provenance and get some Gotohs, or better.

Have an old MIJ Sakai Melody-maker knock off - not up to Uncle Matt standard, nor Hoshino - and will be interesting to see how this Matt MM knock-off plays with the MMK 'buckers. And with Fender string-thru rather than tune-o bridge. We all know that these guitars, esp Matt's, started it all off for most of us; Leo and Gibby being so darn ordinary in the 70's and 80s.

Will post pics - is that an easy task, or do I need to be an astronaut?

cheers, GS

PostPosted: Mon 18 May 2009 02:26 AM 
Virtuoso

Now I'm afraid.
I have an old MIJ Sakai Melody-maker knock in off in it;s OHSC sitting in my closet as well :o .
Here I was thinking there were not many around :D .

I was very tempted to bid on the Skylark, but had to hold off and see what happens with one that I am after in the states. The missing TRC is no problem, you should be able to get some plastic that's close to the right color and make one up. A bit of tarnish around the metal just adds to the look.
As for uploading the pics, the process is quiet simple now as long as you shrink the size down to a reasonable level there should be no problems.
Cheers
Don

PostPosted: Mon 18 May 2009 03:09 AM 
Virtuoso

Hiya, Graeme and welcome! Not too many Skylarks about so good catch; I never saw it as unlike Don, I don't live on the computer! :lol: Anyway, what Westone do you have; I love the Spectrums; have 3 and a Electra Phoenix X195 so am quite familiar with them! I, too, have a Vantage - a one owner VA900 picked up in Melbourne in 1980 - but the Skylarks appear so infrequently that they never seem to appear on my radar; well, that and the fact that shipping guitars from the US is so damned expensive these days!
I post pix on here by first uploading them to one of the imaging sites like Photobucket or Imageshack and then cut and paste the .img code into the post; a bit roundabout but it works for me!

PostPosted: Mon 18 May 2009 03:22 AM 
Virtuoso

Live on the computer, who me, never :P

PostPosted: Mon 18 May 2009 04:24 AM 
Axe Slinger

Thanks Corsair! Thanks for info re uploading pics. Will do when I get her. Once in swimsuit, and once in evening gown...I have all my babies in piccies (a bit sad isn't it, as I look at them on my work desktop to quell separation anxiety). My doctor says this will pass.

The Vantage is as stated; VS 695, see-through black with the stripes, bought new in 1982. Real keeper, never missed a beat. The Westone is a Spectrum DX, white, off the Bay from a guy who had no idea what he was selling. Absolutely pristine. It is just on the crest of Ebayers really knowiing about MIJ stuff, so have gotten some bargains in last couple of years. Getting harder now, as things like Harmony Central et al are educating people. I guess one of the good things the brave new world of the net was supposed to do. I know it's not a Matt, but picked up an E series MIJ Squier, and some oddball Les Paul thing that has onboard FX and is quite old too (but suspect it is MIK Kay, badged as Canora); all for a song. Some nice Roadstars too. Love those; had a prized one stolen a while back. So, a Skylark was always a favourite search on the Bay and Craigslist. Shipping costs from the US were even prohibitive even when the Aust $ nearly had parity. As you know USPS goes on weight; over a certain and it's exponential after that. And you have no doubt shuddered when watching baggage guys throw stuff outta planes....ouch!

Will sort out some pics - and if you would be kind enough to point me to pics of your guitars, I'd be grateful guys.....

cheers, GS

PostPosted: Mon 18 May 2009 02:32 PM 
Virtuoso

Well, actually, all mine are here;

http://www.guitardir.com/main.php?Context=ChatNS

(go to collections, Corsair, and there you go. Don's too!)

..and I know exactly what you mean by separation anxiety; all my gear is in storage 1300 km away!!

Now I've shown you mine; you show me yours!! :D

PostPosted: Mon 18 May 2009 02:36 PM 
Virtuoso

There are a few here with Skylarks. You could always get a pattern for the TRC from one of them.

PostPosted: Mon 18 May 2009 05:22 PM 
Axe Slinger

Thanks Corsair, and remiss not to thank Don earlier for valued info.

Yep, was aware of this site. Dead sexy your mutual Larks alright.

On the same website, under Canora, you can see this oddball Les Paul onboard FX thingy of mine. Not Uncle Matt, but a quality Asiatic (unlikely MIJ, but still possible) vintage jobby. Awesome player. Actually compares favourably with Gibby ones.

If you are interested, go to Harmony Central and punch in my name of graeme storer and then click on the 'ommitted ones that are close' or whatever it says, and you can read reviews of all guitars and various pieces submitted. A lot are MIJ, some US made guitars. A little passion of mine of late is to get MIC cheapies and mod them to become players; various tunings etc. Quite fun. Have to say SX necks are extremely good; very good, if you are into modding guitars. Wilko pups are fabulous cheap pups for the little money too.

Will work on uploading some further pics; pick up new Skylark tomorrow night, and will get to work bringing her to former glory.

There is medication one can take for separation anxiety, and my shrink says if I work hard it will pass.Not likely ;-)

cheers, GS