The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Mon 29 Apr 2024 01:38 PM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Pickkies of new Skylark
PostPosted: Thu 21 May 2009 06:08 AM 
Axe Slinger

Hope these pics from photobucket link properly. Thanks Don.

Resto done; await generic cream toggle knob and truss cover; fashion to suit. Doubt the real thing will ever appear anywhere. All listed flaws from 'Bay Seller remedied, not much drama. Intonated and action set. Dents touched up with red texta and linseed oil. Body and neck soaked up linseed to a beautiful satin shine.

Real player, oozes mojo. Whoever had it in the US was a knowledgeable player - the polepiece settings, the pencil graphite in the nut, and the right-handed bangle marks on the upperside are testimony. Typical Uncle Matt; quiet, great tonal variation bottom/top pup and splits, and brutal overdriven. Wonderful guitar.

Well worth the money and the dreadful weather whilst picking it up. Never seen such rain! So, 'Rani' (anagram of 'rain') is her name. .... Skylarking in the rain......OK, terrible alleged pun.

http://s690.photobucket.com/albums/vv266/graemestorer/

Comments welcomed, whilst I commence a Harmony Central review in coming days. Will post pics of other Uncle Matts in the collection soon. Other MIJ vintage on request if ya like (it's a Matsumoku forum after all).

many regards to all,

GS

PostPosted: Thu 21 May 2009 07:38 AM 
Virtuoso

Well done Graeme :up: Looking pristine!
Reminds me a lot of APII Cardinal (CS 200?). Around the same time you bought yours, I missed a 2588 by just 21U$ :( They don't come by that often, but who knows ... next time.

Kees.
(watch your mail box, PM coming in :) )

PostPosted: Thu 21 May 2009 08:00 AM 
Axe Slinger

Thanks Kees. This really is a great website, and a pleasure to share info about guitars I've loved for now decades, seen them come from the snobbery against them to now full-reverse in that they are now 'collectors', and cto ome back to exactly the same thoughts as when I bought my first Vantage - 'these things are ........ing great!'

The mojo of probably having one of the few, if any others ,in Australia, and it coming from the US to end up all this way is just amazing to me. Something about JV guitars, and especially Matsus.

Will upload to Guitar Directory - did you see the Canora I put up there? Strange piece, great player.

cheers,

GS

PostPosted: Thu 21 May 2009 08:20 AM 
Virtuoso

graemestorer wrote:
... did you see the Canora I put up there? Strange piece, great player.

cheers,

GS

I did! I've seen that exact model with both 'Kay' and 'Kent' on the headstock, too.
Got some more, but to avoid polution, I'll ad it to your Canora thread in 'unidentified'.