The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Fri 19 Apr 2024 08:56 PM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Pics of My New Skylark
PostPosted: Thu 20 Aug 2009 09:31 AM 
Power Chorder

I made the 70 mile trip to check out this Skylark I saw on Craigslist. With one missing string and the other strings corroded I tried it out. I was pleased to hear a very pleasant clean sound coming from my little 5 watt practice amp. All the electronics worked and the condition was very nearly perfect. I bought the guitar for $200.00 and I feel that I got the better end of the deal.

I promised Frenchy I would post pics of my new baby so here they are

Attachments:
IMG_1047.JPG
IMG_1047.JPG [ 98.16 KiB | Viewed 1882 times ]
IMG_1045.JPG
IMG_1045.JPG [ 91.59 KiB | Viewed 1882 times ]
IMG_1044.JPG
IMG_1044.JPG [ 80.62 KiB | Viewed 1882 times ]
PostPosted: Thu 20 Aug 2009 09:32 AM 
Power Chorder

More Pics

Attachments:
IMG_1051.JPG
IMG_1051.JPG [ 76.53 KiB | Viewed 1870 times ]
IMG_1050.JPG
IMG_1050.JPG [ 94.36 KiB | Viewed 1881 times ]
IMG_1048.JPG
IMG_1048.JPG [ 79.76 KiB | Viewed 1870 times ]
PostPosted: Thu 20 Aug 2009 09:35 AM 
Power Chorder

And More

Attachments:
IMG_1054.JPG
IMG_1054.JPG [ 89.32 KiB | Viewed 1869 times ]
IMG_1053.JPG
IMG_1053.JPG [ 80.85 KiB | Viewed 1869 times ]
IMG_1052.JPG
IMG_1052.JPG [ 91.53 KiB | Viewed 1869 times ]
PostPosted: Thu 20 Aug 2009 09:40 AM 
Virtuoso

Tha is real nice.... Great deal.... I notice that she has all her strings on ... Did you pull the pups out to verify what she had in her?

How do you like her so far?

How she play in a full blown amp?

Seems to be in a super condition also!

Congrats!

P.

PostPosted: Thu 20 Aug 2009 09:50 AM 
Power Chorder

I stopped by Guitar Center on my way home from picking her up and bought strings.

I did not pull the pups out but I will next time I change strings.

Through my Fender Princeton 112 Plus she sounds pretty good. The pups are a little bit muddy when distortion is applied and they could be a bit hotter. I can't get a decent pinch harmonic out of them. All in all I am not disappointed in her at all.

she is in great condition. She was dirty when I got her but the first thing I did was burnish the entire guitar with 0000 brass wool then I applied lindseed oil to her. Man did she soak that up. I'm gonna take her into Guitar Center for a professional set-up.

Great Guitar....Good counterpoint to my Strat.

PostPosted: Thu 20 Aug 2009 01:45 PM 
Virtuoso

Hey THamlett really nice score there! And you got a great price too.
If I squint she looks a bit like a Washburn or Cardinal :D
I'm having a bit of trouble reconciling the colour. Is it more like the brighter or darker pics you posted?

PostPosted: Thu 20 Aug 2009 05:47 PM 
Virtuoso

Thamlett, welcome to the club! (not really my place to welcome you, 'cause I'm a very 'fresh' member myself, but I'll do it anyway :D ) Enjoy your Skylark as I do mine, and as the other 'members' do they'rs. As mentioned, I think the guys at Mat's went above themselves making these. Unfortunately for them (but FORTUNATELY for us), these guitars ended up being sold through a channel that didn't really fit their class.
Good score! :wink:

PostPosted: Fri 21 Aug 2009 07:23 AM 
Power Chorder

Thanks everyone. I have been enjoying her very much. Her sound fits in nicely with music such as Collective Soul, Thin Lizzy and even Zep. I do need to get her set-up professionally and I am thinking about making a pup switch to something a little hotter. Not sure yet.

The color is the brighter color in the pics. I had to put a piece of tissue over the camera flash because it was washing out the pictures....especially the close-ups. Thats why the full frontal and full rear appear a bit dark.

Does anyone know how many of the Skylarks were made? I have heard figures of possibly 500 or less. I'm not sure how trustworthy that is.

I got a hardshell case with the guitar and I was hoping it was the one offered in the catalog ad but closer ivestigation found that it was a case from Sears & Roebuck so it is not the matching case. :(

PostPosted: Fri 21 Aug 2009 08:16 AM 
Virtuoso

Hey Thamlett,

The best pics are the ones you take outside... I have been trying to do that this year but since only had like 5 sunny days so far this summer.... :x

The case does not matter really.... If you do decide to swap the pick ups, make certain to put away the original in a safe place and keep them. Purist and collectors alike prefer stock items.... On the production run.... I do not have a clue but it was one order and one batch... the # would not be all that big...

If you can and dont mind, more pictures would be appreciated, I would really love to see the real color, seems a little diferent red compared to the standard we see....

Again, nice piece....

P.

PostPosted: Fri 21 Aug 2009 09:08 AM 
Power Chorder

I'll try taking some pics outside. No problem with sun since I live in Dania Beach, Florida. I'm surprised that you don't spend the winter in Florida Frenchy. It seems to me that the entire province of Quebec is in South Florida for the winter. Ha Ha Ha