The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Thu 18 Apr 2024 09:44 PM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Red Skylark
PostPosted: Mon 20 Oct 2003 10:49 AM 
Hello,
I've got a "red" skylark (mid-level model, passive electronics) that I bought a few years ago in a pawn shop for $130. Sadly I bought it in a town renown for it's methamphedamine use and the wiring was "interesting" to say best.

Then in a fit of stupidity I let a neighbor work on it to lower the neck and set the intonation.

Meth strikes again.

When I came back over the bastard had re-wired my guitar!

So I was was wondering if anyone knows the "original" wireing.

Side note: Tweekers seem to love Skylarks, there was a "Blue" model for sale here in Reno a while back, with similar electronics dorking. I would have bought the beast except the shop wanted $700 for it (List price $1,400)
|-> and the neck was cracked.

anyway, thanks for reading

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 20 Oct 2003 05:28 PM 
Wish I could help with a diagram, but fortunately it would have been wired standard for a 1V-2T dual humbucker guitar equipped with seperate coil cuts and phase-reversal for the bridge pickup.

Any good shop should be able to wire it back up stock using the original pickups. Any shop that is proficient in custom electronics could handle it, but forget the Cacaphony Palaces. Without having access to one I would have no idea how to wire the pickup leads but the rest is easy.

The 2588 I had also came with messed up electronics and the preamp never worked. Thanks to a couple of folks here on the board tossing me some info and pics I was able to hash out the diagram and wire it back to stock once again.

Where on earth did they get that $700 from???? :o That sounds like SuperPawn's doing to me. They had one and claimed the list price was sometihng like that, which is way off base! I called them and asked them where it was made, what store sold them new (both answers I already knew), and most of all where that list price came from and all they could do was hem-haw around. They finally hung up on me but it was worth the long distance to listen to them squirm and stutter! :evil:

Those guitars were liquidated through the JCPenney catalog back in the early 1980s.

Post subject: Yep..
PostPosted: Mon 20 Oct 2003 06:55 PM 
It was EZ Cash SuperPawn, and it eventually sold on E-Bay,

They're not so much a "Pawn Shop" as a place that sells used things at $2 under new (or $400 over in this case)

I tried to get info from them because I couldn't find any for my Skylark, the guy mummbled somthing about "the internet"

I hate al pawn shops except "Turlock Pawn"

Unfourtunantly the owner plays the instruments for fun & occasionally drops them.......

Still 1000% more honest than any other, it's where I got my Skylark...

Good times....