The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Thu 28 Mar 2024 04:07 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Thu 16 Jan 2003 01:53 PM 
I recently purchased a 70's (I am guessing) Conrad, Lucite Dan Armstrong copy guitar. It is in pretty good shape, minor knicks and scratches. I got it for real cheap ($120). I have been looking for one the these types of guitars (lucite), forever...years, literally!
I always wanted an acrylic guitar, but there is no way I am dishing out $2500 for a Dan Armstrong.
The Conrad sounds all right (but not great), and it stays in tune ok (but not for too long, I have to retune it after every song). But it looks super cool!!!

Five Questions for you here....

1. I know electra, univox, ibanez, and conrad all made similar acrylic models back in the 70's. What were the biggest differences between them, and are some brands better or worth more than others?

2. Were all these guitars made in the same factory?

3. How can I tell what year my Conrad is?

4. Will the Original Dan Armstrong parts fit it this guitar...pickups & Tuners?

5. What was the original sticker price of this guitar?

I also have one more quick question...
I have an old 70's (I'm guessing) Mann guitar, it is a Les Paul Jr. copy (double cut away). Anyone know anything about Mann guitars???
I love the guitar and have had it for over 20 years! I originally bought it at a garage sale for $50. It sound good and stays in tune great! But just as Conrad guitars, I know absolutley nothing about this Mann brand name and have never seen another around! I can't find any info on these companies anywhere!

Any info would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Stephen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 16 Jan 2003 10:42 PM 
Virtuoso

Mann may have been a Canadian market brand a la El Degas, as examples have turned up around here at various times over the years. Unlike El Degas the ones I've seen have all been copies.

PostPosted: Thu 16 Jan 2003 11:47 PM 
ssydor wrote:
1. I know electra, univox, ibanez, and conrad all made similar acrylic models back in the 70's. What were the biggest differences between them, and are some brands better or worth more than others?

2. Were all these guitars made in the same factory?

3. How can I tell what year my Conrad is?

4. Will the Original Dan Armstrong parts fit it this guitar...pickups & Tuners?

5. What was the original sticker price of this guitar?

Both the Electra and and the Univox have a one-piece bridge/tailpiece with a single angled saddle. The Conrad and Ibanez had an ABR1 clone with screw-down (not slip on) stopbar tailpiece. The Electra had a slide-in pickup just like the Armstrong, and the Univox (I beleive), Ibanez, and Conrad had dual covered humbuckers mounted right next to each other close to the bridge. Naturally the Electra did not have a 3-way pickup selector.

My Conrad Lucite is circa 1974 and I would imagine yours is in the very close proximity. Mine is awfully bright probably due to the dense body, but the pickups are also a bit crunchy. It is 100% original, and other than a few chips in the pseudo wood pickguard which have been glued back in place is in fantastic shape. I guess I am lucky, but mine stays in tune pretty well and it has hardly seen much use in it's life.

I don't know for sure if they were all made in the same factory or not. I know the Conrad is very close to the Ibanez. I believe Hoshino was still contracting out most of the work at that time, so they may both have come from the same factory.

I doubt many of the Armstrong parts will fit without modification to the guitar.

Original sticker price is going to be a tough one.

Hopefully this helps.

http://www.therathole.org/guitars/mine/ ... ucite.html

PostPosted: Fri 17 Jan 2003 07:55 AM 
Thanks for the info!
I am glad I found this website...I didn't know there were this many people out there that actually seek out these old 70's "cheap" (well...it's all relative), knock off's like me!!
It sounds cliche'...but they just don't make em like they used to!
I am always on the look out in pawn shops and ebay for neat old guitars!
I have collected quite a few over the years! My wife hates having all these guitars around the house...she just can't understand for the life of her why anyone needs 15 guitars!!!
Well, I don't know why anyone would need 15 pairs of shoes...so we call it even!

Thanks again!
Stephen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 17 Jan 2003 11:22 PM 
Virtuoso

One of the pawn shops around here has a clear Armstrong copy, and if I remember correctly its a Raven branded instrument, whoever they were.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 17 Jan 2003 11:36 PM 
Hmmm. Sounds interesting! I have seen a few older Ravens as well and I don't believe they are connected to the cheapie Koreans flooding ebay.

PostPosted: Sat 03 May 2003 12:14 AM 
I thought that I would reply beings I have a conrad I like verry much and I think that it sounds great in Great condidition I would say close to mint!! matching custom case looks like a swing guitar or bb king stlye?
but I guess they all look like that? :)
I am glad I bought it it sounds great Blond wood finish 3 pick ups 1 volume 3 tone knobs 1 small switch pick up and a 3 slider switch tone moduale?
It is a work of art great action good rise on the fret board and great idication on neck of pearl fret spiffs
well Ill guess ill get it looked at ? I do ahve the cearel # it is on a plate thar says steel reinforced neck 2129602..???
well im clue less?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 25 Oct 2003 07:03 PM 
you lucky lucky bar stewards. ive been after a clear luctite for nearly six years now and still havent found one. i guess not many made it to the uk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 05 Nov 2003 12:09 AM 
Axe Slinger

hey bob...

if you are still looking for a lucite armstrong, you might want to check this one out

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... tegory=359

hope this helps :D

Post subject: darn it!!!!
PostPosted: Sun 18 Apr 2004 12:44 PM 
grrr my comp has been down for ages and today is the first day i could get back on! if only id seen your link earlier!!!!
Thanks Anway!!!!!!

still trying to find one.