The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Thu 25 Apr 2024 01:53 PM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Lyle Guitar Name.
PostPosted: Sat 06 Dec 2008 01:51 AM 
Gallery Friend

I purchaced a Lyle, 470-12, in 1975, in Bremerton Washington Wa. Cates music was one of only two places in town you could get an instrument. It is a Red, Sunburst, HUMMINGBIRD that I string with silk and steel for a sound that I am often complimented on. I can Bar chord this guitar with clarity and distinction. Ok in short I am enamored by the guitar and the name. I have played others and have never found a Lyle I did not like.

I also have an SG copy that I bought in 1974 at the OTHER Music Store in town Bremerton Music. This instrument does not have a name on the headstock. HOWEVER, DOT COM There ia a sticker on the back cover that says. "Imported by L. D. Heater corp., Portland Oregon"

My research indicates that the L in L. D. Heater was for his first name Lyle. My research indicates that the Lyle name was sold exclusively through L. D. Heater and Matsumoku built them for Lyle. So I have reasonable evidence that this is also a no name Matsumoku instrument.

I watch E bay every day to see how the name is selling and what the market is. One day I desire to replace my Red, Sunburst, 6 string, Hummingbird, Epiphone with another Lyle. I have been researching the Lyle name on the net for years and there is little or nothing there but I keep looking. That is why I found this site.

Ok on to the chase scene. I am looking for Lyle players, owners, lovers and officianados that I am sure are lurking in the vast cyberland of the web. People that give the web respect and dignity. So iffin you are interested in the Lyle name please advise.

Yes I also own a Peavey t 26, a Johnson acoustic Bass, a Johnson Mandolin and a knock off, fretted violin. My wife is a drummer, daughter plays Keyboard.

Yes I live just short of heaven.

Dave of Burley

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 07 Dec 2008 04:07 AM 
Virtuoso

Hello and Welcome Dave

Yes, you come to the right place to talk about Lyle and other possible Mat guitars out there.

Do you have any pics you can share with us?

You'll get more replies when folks get a gander at it.

Post subject: WIKIPEDIA
PostPosted: Sun 07 Dec 2008 10:00 PM 
Gallery Friend

:idea: Has anyone looked over he Matsumoku entry on Wikepedia. My question is about the credibility of the information provided. I understand that some of the information found on Wikepedia is suspect. So again is there credibility to that post?

Pictures to follow. Building a bedroom right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 13 Jan 2009 06:19 PM 
Prospective Member

I am a new and blown-away owner of a Lyle F500. It's like a Martin with an 00 style body. I can't believe the sound and quality of this guitar and am further amazed that there are other overlooked brands out there that are selling for a pittance!

I too have had great difficulty in finding out about these guitars, the actual luthiers, etc., but it makes it kind of fun somehow.

I've got a line on another Lyle that I'm hoping to pick up. I can't believe these guitars!

Post subject: Lyle Guitar Name
PostPosted: Thu 15 Jan 2009 11:51 PM 
Gallery Friend

I took mine by a local music shop where the "Mechanic" thought it was a Gibson, even stated that he had never seen a 12 string HUMMINGBIRD from Gibson. Was he surprised. I watch them on E bay every day and the $300.00 to $400.00 price range is about the going rate for the DOVES and HUMERS. The L5 :D :D copies run a bit more but I am betting they are worth it.

I have the Guitar Aquisition Syndrome and am about one guitar away from too many. I am not buying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 16 Jan 2009 04:05 AM 
Virtuoso

Shock horror, too many guitars you say :yipes: .
You can never have too many guitars .
Go now and wash your mouth out with soap :D .

cheers :cheers: [/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 16 Jan 2009 04:27 AM 
Virtuoso

eyebulger wrote:
... You can never have too many guitars .
cheers :cheers:
Reminds me of "I don't have a drinkin' problem. I drink, get drunk, fall down ... No problem!" :P
I don't have too many guitars, it's my house ... too small! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 16 Jan 2009 05:25 AM 
Virtuoso

I know that feeling all to well (falling down and house to small).

:D :D :D

Post subject: Too many
PostPosted: Mon 19 Jan 2009 02:27 AM 
Gallery Friend

Well I also have some life standards that make my problem worse. I can't sell one either. I see selling one like triping down to Broad street, First Ave. Skid road or some other street corner looking for... :down: well I DO NOT DO THAT EITHER>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 19 Jan 2009 05:10 AM 
Virtuoso

You can never have to many :D .
But you can sell off the ones that you don't want so that you can buy the ones that you do :wink: .