The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Fri 29 Mar 2024 02:37 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Lyle Guitar Name.
PostPosted: Sun 25 Jan 2009 10:37 PM 
Gallery Friend

Ok enough of the sad story of overpopulation of the home....

LYLE NAME MATSU made instruments...

:idea: Does anyone have information on when they were issued? Year of birth??

PostPosted: Sun 25 Jan 2009 11:15 PM 
Virtuoso

No information on exactly when the Lyle name first appeared. Catalogs hint at mid 1960s but this may also be conjecture.

As far as dating any particular Lyle guitar, very few have serial numbers that are going to pin down a manufacture date.

PostPosted: Sat 31 Jan 2009 01:23 AM 
Gallery Friend

Ok on to the chase scene, I have one Lyle for sure and one I believe to be a MATSU manufactured instrument. I know when I purchased mine could we list the models we have wnd when they were purchased new? May be the data will lead somewhere>>

Dave of Burley,

PostPosted: Sat 31 Jan 2009 01:54 AM 
Virtuoso

You're welcome to start a new thread to collect that data, but it's not likely the webmaster is going to start adding any new sections to the site itself.

Post subject: Re: WIKIPEDIA
PostPosted: Sat 02 May 2009 05:58 PM 
Power Chorder

Dave of Burley wrote:
:idea: Has anyone looked over he Matsumoku entry on Wikepedia. My question is about the credibility of the information provided. I understand that some of the information found on Wikepedia is suspect. So again is there credibility to that post?

Pictures to follow. Building a bedroom right now.

I think in the entry under Lyle, someone said that Gibson bought Matsumoku out and shut them down. Someone needs to go and correct that. Wikipedia is VERY suspect.

PostPosted: Sat 02 May 2009 06:13 PM 
Virtuoso

MatLover, I think everybody in his right mind knows that Wiki is not very reliable. I for one am not gonna waste time on correcting all the things that are wrong in there (even I have only one lifetime to spend). Anyone that really wants to know more about his/her Matsumoku made instrument is destined to end up here on MF anyway :wink:

PostPosted: Sun 03 May 2009 01:53 PM 
Virtuoso

I agree with you guys...asking "WIKI" where Lyles come from, is kinda like asking a 4 year old where babies come from. :rofl: :loon: :D I wouldn't trust anything found on their site. :toopid:

PostPosted: Sun 03 May 2009 09:01 PM 
Power Chorder

I found from other sources that LD Heater was owned by Norlin, then parent company of Gibson. I also found a Cimar catalog showing some SG copies that look IDENTICAL to the ones put out by Lyle. Cimar was distributed by Ibanez during that time as an entry level brand. It is strange, though, that Cimars should be made at Matsumoku while the Ibanez guitars were made at Fuji Gen. I know Fuji Gen made SG copies, because I've seen those as well, under various names, but at higher prices. Matsumoku must have been cutting corners on the Cimars and Lyles to keep the prices down where Fuji Gen couldn't or wouldn't. I read a rumor on one review site that the Lyles and Cimars were made of plywood, which was why they were so cheap. Can anyone confirm or refute this? I'll have one in my hands probably by the end of the week, but one of you may know already.

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jan 2010 01:45 AM 
Power Chorder

In 1980.Seattle washington I talked my parents into buying for me a used lyle sg copy.painted blue.rosewood
fretboard,and a 200S sunn head with 2/12cabinet for 100 dollars.I was fifteen and have loved playing ever since.
When I was 18 I saved up money and bought a almost new fender stratocaster.I cant even remember what happened to that lyle but at the time I had no idea that little sg was anything but junk.I knew nothing about setting up a guitar and had no money to pay someone. now after doing some research on them and seeing pictures of em with their little slide switches and everything... I've always regretted selling that 200s head,now I regret getting rid of my lyle also.

Thanks guys
just kidding

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jan 2010 07:45 PM 
Gallery Friend

Lyle is a very well built guitar with a nice tone, solid workmanship, and decent electrics. I have a double cut hollowbody single coil with a lightweight bixby style tail piece. Haven't been able to find the model # in the guide but I love to play the lil bugger. It has a sticker on the neck plate that "A 745" but haven't a clue beyond that. all the se # are long gone and the binding is turning brown from too much smoke. ( no longer a problem ) But Like all you folks I dig the variety that Matsumoku has provided. I also have a Ventura 1500 copy of a Chet Atkins Gretch, and an Aria Diamond twelve string. I have a Gib SG an Epi LP and an Eastwood twelve but seem to always get great pleasure from playing the Hollow bodies.:D