The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Sun 12 May 2024 01:49 PM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: My LYLE Guitars
PostPosted: Mon 14 Jun 2010 12:31 PM 
Virtuoso

That's the term I was grasping for!
Thanks. :up:

PostPosted: Tue 07 Dec 2010 12:20 PM 
Prospective Member

Hobster;

You've done an excellent job on that formerly sad closet queen! I'm glad to see it elevated from 'beater' to 'keeper'.

I have a very similar guitar to yours; my model is apparently W400. I say apparently because the letter imprint on the label is indistinct, but the only model I can find with the number "400" in it is that one. Top is laminated spruce; back and sides might be solid mahog or well-matched ply, but it has similar figure to yours. Neck is nice and thin and feels great. The top on mine is quite thin and light and I think they have a bit of a reputation for oil-canning; the bridge on mine is pulling loose on the corners. The guitar is currently un-strung and living in the shop until I can spare the time to firm up the bridge and make a bone nut and bridge saddle. Mine still has the original junk tuners, so I'll probably replace them while I'm at it. The last time it was strung it was wearing extra-lights and consequently sounded a bit thin; I'm looking forward to putting heavier strings on to get that top moving. I figure the wood should be nicely seasoned and will likely sound fabulous. BTW, the diamond volute is an homage to Martin and is tricky to execute. It adds a lot of strength to a critical and delicate area, so good on 'em for doing it. Your example has led me to move mine way up on the project list... thanks!

PostPosted: Thu 09 Dec 2010 01:32 PM 
Axe Slinger

Hey, thats super cool gepetto, i'm glad i helped! Thanks for the kind words also, i play that guitar all the time and it still impresses me. You should definately fix yours up, its so worth the time and there is no sound like seasoned wood. I think replacing the tuners is a good idea also. Good luck!