The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Fri 29 Mar 2024 12:06 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Univox Strat???
PostPosted: Mon 02 Mar 2009 09:57 PM 
Prospective Member

Hey Everyone,

Just wanted to share my guitar and frustration..lol

Can any of you tell me what model, where and possibly when my univox was made. It's a mexican killer.. It plays and sounds very good, good as any strat MIM/USA I have played in a while.. Seems to be 100% original and was owned by an older gentleman since new.

It doesn't state Japan anywhere on the guitar?

Serial number/sticker on neck plate reads.... STP305CSS

Thanks for any help, this guitar has me boggled..

Post subject: Re: Univox Strat???
PostPosted: Sun 03 May 2009 02:13 PM 
Power Chorder

http://www.univox.org/guitars/ripper.html

This is the only strat copy Univox made.

However, we also have this.

http://www.univox.org/guitars/counterfeit.html

"The Ripper is the only exact Strat copy Univox ever made and it only had Humbuckers, there was no single coil version"

So yours could be a fake using the Univox name. That's not to say it's a bad guitar, just that it may not be a real Univox. Why anyone would go to the trouble of making a strat copy and then putting a Univox logo on it instead of a Fender logo, I don't know. It's not like they ever had the collector value of a real Fender. The headstock is different from a real Fender, though, so that probably makes it post lawsuit as all guitar makers who exported to the US changed their headstock designs after, making an attempt at outright forgery less likely or else the headstock would be like Fender's. Unicord at one point was trying to get away from the image of the Univox name being perceived as cheap copy guitars so they stopped using it altogether. It is possible they may have sold the name to someone else or some other company may have started up and used the Univox name, not realizing it was owned by someone already or in an attempt to cash in on the brand recognition.

Edit: I found something else.

http://www.univox.org/guitars/unknown.html

Look at the links next to 80's strat copy. The owner of the site has no information on these, but the logo looks the same as yours. That still doesn't bring us any closer to finding out if it was actually released by Univox, but at least the leading Univox site acknowledges their existence.