The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Thu 28 Mar 2024 03:47 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Westbury on the way.
PostPosted: Mon 11 May 2009 07:47 PM 
Power Chorder

Managed to pick up a Westbury Series 200 in the retro 50's baby blue. Westbury was the name that was picked up when Unicord dropped the Univox name, so I have good reason to believe this is also a Matsumoku like the Univoxes that came before. Unfortunately, this particular guitar was sold to the previous owner as a body and neck project and all the original hardware was missing with the exception of the brass nut and bridge. He rebuilt it using what parts he had on hand and a few custom made pieces, but most of the original features like the coil taps and phase switching are no longer there. I doubt he knew about them as the original wiring was even missing when he got it and finding information is difficult. I managed to find some photos from ebay Hong Kong of what the Series 200 is supposed to look like, and the guy did a pretty good job with what he had. The body shape is clearly a stratocaster copy but the pickguard is shaped like a telecaster, but with a tail that reaches down to protect the area around the volume and tone knobs. The jack is on the front, so I have to go get a cable with a 90 degree connector to prevent any disasters form occurring. I need one anyway because my SG copy also has a front jack. They originally came with humbuckers, so that's what was installed by the seller. It is lighter than a Les Paul and not as dark sounding. Also twangier because of all the brass hardware. This thing is going to rule as a slide guitar. :hyper: