The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Wed 24 Apr 2024 08:07 PM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 5 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sun 31 Oct 2010 05:34 AM 
Prospective Member

Hello all. This is my first time posting on your forum, so greetings and salutations go out. Here's to many an informative future exchange!

I recently came into possession of a Lyle model W475-12 acoustic 12 string, and would like to date it. I believe the serial number is 2297 (found just below the manufacturer's certificate inside the sound hole).

Would appreciate any input.

PostPosted: Sun 31 Oct 2010 03:16 PM 
Virtuoso

sup and welcome Nav
That one may be a bit tricky around here but you might check back once in a while
to see if one of the members knows something about this guitar.

PostPosted: Mon 01 Nov 2010 06:31 AM 
Prospective Member

jb1year, from what little information I have been able to gather, these are rare guitars. Is this true? I have been watching ebay to see if one like mine pops up, (this being my simple gage of rarity), and haven't seen one. Does anybody know when the L.D. Heater company stopped distribution? At least this would give me an upper limit... from what else I gather, the serial numbers do not directly reflect production date.

PostPosted: Tue 02 Nov 2010 08:04 AM 
Virtuoso

Hi and welcome Navvid,

Acoustics are tricky, pictures would really help. Any chance of you to post some?

P :)

PostPosted: Wed 10 Nov 2010 09:48 PM 
Axe Slinger

There is one of these on fleabay at the present time. Looks like a beauty. It is a 1975 and i have a similar 6 string i believe is a '71. They seem prevelant in the northwest, i see alot for sale around here (which makes sense since they were imported into Portland). These guitars are hard to date but are early -mid 70's as far as i know. I doubt you'll find the exact year.
Top end Lyle acoustics are totally amazing and as good as any Martin from the same era as far as i'm concerned. It's funny to me how their value is so incredibly low. I put mine up against a '75 Martin a month ago and i swear the Lyle blew it away. Maybe the snobs will figure it out someday, but lets hope not. Sssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

p.s. yours is a top of the line Lyle. :D