The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Fri 29 Mar 2024 01:56 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Which Univox Les Paul??
PostPosted: Thu 17 Feb 2011 08:56 AM 
Power Chorder

So...I managed to get myself a Very Nice Univox...given to me from a friend whom inherited it from his father when he passed...

i'm going to include pictures and maybe even some links...

the guitar has the "open book" headstyle, however the binding doesn't go around the headstock...closed tuners...cream coloured hardware with Chrome covered metals, trapezoid inlays, with open double-cream humbuckers (no markings on them at all) with only 2 screws to address height instead of three...the guitar...all black...script logo across the top

being from an older time...it shows its age and abuse...it didn't have a case until i got it...surprisingly though, the neck is straight as an arrow...the pickups weren't potted, or else they had become microphonic, so i potted them...the three way switch wasn't working right so i replaced it with a vintage correct switch (but still having a little trouble with it...it think its more in the attaching wires than the switch)...i replaced the jack, it was rusted and corroded...and i also rewired to 50's style Les Paul...i like to be able to get that Trew's style playing sometimes (a la Fleeting Trust)...and...it only had two of the four knobs...so...knobs have been replaced...theres somethings i couldn't fix...like it appears its fallen on the knobs and cracked the knob housing (if you push just a little on the knobs the body will start to cave into the cavity), theres knicks and small chunks missing...

there are no other markings on it...only "Made in Japan" on the steel plate at the neck connection

it looks very similar to this one...except you'll see that this guitar has a black coloured ring around the pickup selector
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=4914

and now...here's mine...

and the problem i'm having is...its doesn't really fit any of the guitars as listed on univox.org...
the pickups aren't metal covered, nor do they look like the Teisco style pickups
there is no serial number anywhere that i have found
script logo...not block style

from the univox website...
Quote:
The Deluxe was a Les Paul copy similar to Gimmie except it had center-peaked head, metal-covered humbuckers, white elevated pick guards, and necks with a heel. Also had bound rosewood board w/ square ends, logo was script inlay, 2 volumes and tones.
Availability:
There were 3 finishes available over a mildly flamed top, cherry sunburst (U1880), natural (U1881), wine red (U1882) and gold.

so...based on the last part...there are 4 finishs...not three...its not the Gimme b/c it has trapezoid inlays
this is the closest model to this guitar...but with the exception of the guy in the link above...this is only the second guitar thats come up like this...
no binding on headstock, white pickguard (which could've faded into cream coloured), neck with a heel (its weird that they all seem to be like this, but this is the only model discription that states it), the right fretboard...

but...wrong colour as per the above noted info

the guy i got it from isn't handy, and i guess his dad wasn't either...he doesn't know how long his dad had the guitar either...but, for the pickups to be replaced with aftermarkets, they don't have any identification marks on them and everything is extremely neat inside...so if someone DID replace the pickups (with ones that match the EXACT colour of the rest of the hardware) they did a great job...

any thoughts? Model? Year?

PostPosted: Wed 21 Nov 2012 08:34 PM 
Prospective Member

I believe I have the identical guitar. Mine is totally original, and in near perfect condition. I bought it from the original owner, and it hasn't been played in 35 years. The owner thinks he bought it in 1979. If you found out any new info, please let me know.