The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Sun 28 Apr 2024 02:19 PM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 7 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sun 13 Nov 2011 10:13 PM 
Gallery Friend

Hey all,

So I recently acquired a Lyle acoustic that has the Lyle script on the headstock and has a label inside the soundhole that reads "ROSE" 1970, and the model number. Here's some pictures of the guitar and the label:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v242/ ... 0domestic/

I purchased this from the original owner and here's what I know:
She (original owner) purchased this while in Tokyo in 1971. To the best of her knowledge, Rose has nothing to do with the store it was purchased from.
So, has anybody ever come across this 'Rose' before, and have any idea what it could mean or why it's on there? Was it a common practice to put labels on some of the Japan made guitars from this era that differ from the brand on the headstock?
The guitar is an insanely beautiful sounding and playing instrument, and I've never seen another Lyle like it. I've heard that most of the earlier ones were copies of American guitars like Gibsons and Martins, and although this one is very reminiscent of a Gibson, I don't recall ever seeing one quite like this Lyle, and it does not have the 'open-book' headstock. If anyone has any info that may help that'd be very VERY much appreciated.

Thanks everyone!

PostPosted: Mon 14 Nov 2011 10:24 AM 
Virtuoso

That definitely does not look like a manufacturer's label to me, more like a hand-made personalized one, perhaps as a gift to someone named Rose. In fact, it looks like the white label is covering up the original yellowish label underneath.
With some great care and patience I think the Rose label might be removed by dampening it with some water and gently scraping with finger nails.

PostPosted: Mon 14 Nov 2011 11:19 AM 
Gallery Friend

Thanks a lot for the reply. I thought the same thing at first, but upon inspecting it the Rose label is the only one on there; it's gold at the edges.

PostPosted: Mon 14 Nov 2011 03:09 PM 
Virtuoso

Ahh, strange looking label alright.
On second look I see that there is rose (?) design on the pick guard, so I guess that is indeed the model name. Although, there is some weirdness going on with the model number stamp.

This "feels" a lot like a Vantage VW250. I'm wondering if it is.

PostPosted: Mon 14 Nov 2011 04:56 PM 
Gallery Friend

Thanks for the input. I'm not familiar with vantage guitars and I did a google search, but couldn't find any info/pics on that particular model (do you happen to know an online resource I could check out?). I'm not sure if Rose is the model name or not; someone said they have seen the Rose label before on another Lyle, and has seen it on a couple different brands. I was told and now realize this Lyle is a copy of a Guild dreadnaught, although I'm not sure if they ever came out with a Guild that had the flower ornamentation on the pickguard, but the shape of the pickguard, headstock, and bridge are all definitely Guild.

PostPosted: Mon 14 Nov 2011 07:25 PM 
Axe Slinger

Wow, what a gorgeous neck on that one! I have seen that headstock shape and label on other Lyles, it is quite common. Never seen the Rose label before though, looks like a beauty. They made hummingbird copies, so perhaps its a copy of some sort ( Guild Rose?). If it sounds anything like my 1970 Lyle, then you are one lucky dude!

PostPosted: Mon 14 Nov 2011 07:36 PM 
Gallery Friend

Thanks for the kind words! Yeah, the headstock shape (as well as the pickguard and bridge) are definitely Guild, but I think the pickguard inlay is Lyle's own doing, as I've never seen a Guild Dreadnaught with pickguard inlays, or very much ornamentation at all for that matter, besides inlays on the fretboard on a couple models like the D55.
The neck is absolutely stunning (like a flamed mahogany), and the rosewood fretboard is actually really dark and lush (much better looking than the rosewood boards I usually see; maybe it's the age?). Man, the guitar sounds absolutely amazing. I had a Lyle Dove, and this one sounds similar, but if my memory serves me correctly this one has an even more balanced and crisp tone, a little on the sweeter side than the Dove was.