The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Sun 28 Apr 2024 01:55 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Univox Coily
PostPosted: Tue 13 Mar 2012 03:41 PM 
Prospective Member

Hi. I'm a newbie here both in terms of my membership and my guitar ability. I recently purchased a Univox Coily and am doing some research into it. From what I can gather, it appears to have been made in the Matsumoku factory, possibly by Arai, is that right? I'm not sure of the history but it has a plate saying "Made in Japan" and a serial number - 0148201.

Is there anyone out there who can maybe shed some light on anything about the guitar for me please? Was it made in the Matsumoku factory? By Arai? Or someone else? Are the bits on it all original? How much is it worth (roughly?). Anything else that I should know or look out for at all?

Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

Post subject: Re: Univox Coily
PostPosted: Wed 14 Mar 2012 09:06 AM 
Virtuoso

Welcome. Many Univox guitars were made by Matsumoku. It is a fair bet that this one was. You could ask over at the Univox page also.

Aria did not make guitars per say. They designed them and contracted that out to factories. Matsumoku was their biggest supplier for many years.

How does she play?

PostPosted: Wed 14 Mar 2012 09:47 AM 
Virtuoso

RSBBass wrote:
Welcome. Many Univox guitars were made by Matsumoku. It is a fair bet that this one was. You could ask over at the Univox page also.

Aria did not make guitars per say. They designed them and contracted that out to factories. Matsumoku was their biggest supplier for many years.

How does she play?

+1

What RSB said....

Welcome!!!

You have a very nice flame top on your Univox.... Mat made, same model as the Aria 5102T ...

Hope you like it, its a 1969-74 based on your hardware, serial # do not help on these early models. The floating bridge is a replacement in my mind and not the original... As for value... It's all over the place on these... you can sometimes get them for a steal and sometimes see them sale for way more then what you thought would be reasonable....

Cheers... :loon:

PostPosted: Wed 14 Mar 2012 03:12 PM 
Prospective Member

Thanks for the replies guys. I really appreciate it. As for how it plays, I really have little to compare it against so I couldn't say. I love the sound it makes. I think it has a lovely tone but maybe someone with more experience and less tinnitus might disagree. I love the look of it and the colours and was told that it was important to enjoy the look of your guitar. :love:

PostPosted: Wed 14 Mar 2012 03:38 PM 
Virtuoso

clanny wrote:
I love the look of it and the colours and was told that it was important to enjoy the look of your guitar. :love:

+1....I agree 100% :up:

PostPosted: Wed 14 Mar 2012 08:47 PM 
Virtuoso

And enjoy playing her.