The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Thu 16 May 2024 12:01 PM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 8 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon 26 Jun 2006 06:21 AM 
Virtuoso

Besides a ('65) E-21T Suzuki I've also one from the 80's(I presume).
But about that 80's Suzuki : no info to be found(oh yes,about acoustic and/or classical Suzuki's,piano's etc...no problem)
I've noticed that it has a very distinctive headstock shape,but didn't saw it on other guitars.Other copy's(s.a.Strats)had the same head and same logo.
The body & headstock has that 60's glitter plastic covering
This guitars carries "Suzuki Super Sounds brazen picker professional hand crafted"on the headstock,and is a Dean ML copy.
Any info about factory,manufacturer,model name and/or model number,date,sites with Suzuki info,etc...
thanks !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 16 Jun 2008 04:02 AM 
Virtuoso

I even found a genuine(very good-)Suzuki violin , and asked(on the Net-)info about it ...no reply...
Suzuki doesn't seem to be interested about the "sold & obsolete" instruments , not even into some historical history...just selling & selling & selling...and Yen/Yen/yen..I suppose...?...

http://www.lordbizarre.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 16 Jun 2008 09:50 PM 
Virtuoso

made by Suzuki aren`t they? I know the factory has been building stringed instruments for ages `cause the original Mr. Yairi left Suzuki in the 1930`s to go out on his own and that begat Sadao and Kazuo Yairi. I was always under the impression they built their own instruments, originally in Fukushima prefecture just south of where I am. I recently picked up a nylon string which I believe is all solid wood...they also made a LOT of cheap laminate stuff that shows up all the time on line here. They had a wide range of guitars, some selling for more than others...mine has real fancy bracing that looks like molding.
You can just see a bit of the molding here...and one of the numerous Suzuki labels I`ve seen on their guitars...

[img]http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i198/shot-glass/forsaleIV051.jpg[/img]

PostPosted: Thu 22 Jan 2009 02:31 AM 
Virtuoso

...well...search no more !!!
For this peticular Suzuki I've found out that this one was(for 99% sure)made by Greco and/or the plant where Greco was manufactured . Greco had indeed several "brazen picker professional"-lines in the 70's(and 80's ???) . There was among them the SuperSounds ( even SuperSound can be found) ; SparkleSounds ; SuperPower and for bass the GOB II range . Especialy this GOB II line has the same head as this Suzuki .The SuperSounds and SparkleSounds also mention (as on this Suzuki) "hand crafted" on the head .
The only info to be found yet is the modelnumber and/or name from this Suzuki/Greco !

http://www.lordbizarre.com

PostPosted: Thu 22 Jan 2009 03:22 AM 
Virtuoso

Hello Mr. lordbizarre

Sorry if this is off topic but:

I am looking for an older Japan Yamaha SG-3 like the one below.
If you see anything like this please let me know.

Its the same model that Lynk Ray used on his 90s tour.
http://www.yamaha.co.jp/product/guitar/eg/database/sg/01/sg-3.html

PS: I like the way one can see the full URL instead of the old "Click Here".
Just paste the URL then select it and click on the "URL" button in the editor. Voila

PostPosted: Thu 22 Jan 2009 04:37 AM 
Virtuoso

lordbizarre wrote:
... I've found out that this one was(for 99% sure)made by Greco and/or the plant where Greco was manufactured.

That would have to be Fuji Gen Gakki then, Ivan. (at least, that's what my 1976 Greco SA-550 clearly states on her label).

PostPosted: Thu 22 Jan 2009 04:41 AM 
Virtuoso

I actually have a couple of mid/late 70s Greco Brazen Picker strats...don`t know why I didn`t pick up on that, senior moment I guess. When Fender USA came to Japan looking for a factory to produce their first FJs, they chose Fujigen because they were making such great Grecos at the time, so it woudln`t have been a big leap to slap another brand name on a headstock in a factory...in fact that went on a great deal. My Grecos are certainly excellent guitars, my SE-800 is amazing so easy to understand why they were selected by F/USA to make the JV series. I got an MIJ Epiphone SG last year and the serial says it was made by Fujigen...they haven`t forgotten how to make top notch guitars...they even have their own line now.

PostPosted: Thu 22 Jan 2009 09:57 AM 
Virtuoso

For anyone who hasn't already seen it, there's a fantastic - and fascinating - archive of 70s & 80s Greco catalogues here:

http://psyco.jp/greco/cata.html

It's interesting to read the English text crediting Fujigen & Aria simultaneously on the early 70s material. It looks like Fujigen took over production completely by the late 70s/early 80s but in the early ones they have Fujigen & Matsumoku versions of the same instruments side-by side - look at the Rick basses for example.

Jon.