The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Mon 20 May 2024 07:16 PM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: New Lawsuit Company??
PostPosted: Fri 23 Feb 2007 08:55 PM 
Gallery Friend

I recently bought a 335 model copy on ebay. The name brand on this "lawsuit guitar" was "Chimes". It had a bolt-on neck with a "open-book" cut to the headstock. The bolt on plate says "Japan". Thats all. Nothing else written on the guitar. I mentioned this on another forum but nobody could help me with any information. They suggested that maybe i had stumbled on another "lawsuit" company. I'm really at a loss...i can't google anything and noone has any further help. Since this is my first "vintage" guitar, i'm like stumbling around in the dark. I have a whole lot of pics in a whole lot of angles and details, but right now the guitar is at my luthier. If anybody is interested, i'll try to post some pics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 23 Feb 2007 09:34 PM 
Virtuoso

It would be great to see the pics.

In the early days of copies, (i.e. late 60's early 70's) the factories were making copies and selling them to distributors with any name they wanted on the headstock. I've never heard of this one, but if Joe's Music in Podunk City wanted that name, they could have easily ordered them up. In some cases you can recognize them by their similarities to other known lables like Electra, Elger, Crown, etc.

Pictures would help a lot. You may also want to post to the Electra forum, since Electras were made by all the factories, whereas this site is mainly devoted to guitars made by Matsumoku.

Electra Forum

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 23 Feb 2007 11:12 PM 
Gallery Friend

Some pics:[img]http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w24/grae_photos/0ee2_12.jpg[/img]

Last edited by kennyp52 on Mon 26 Feb 2007 04:18 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 23 Feb 2007 11:14 PM 
Gallery Friend

Another pic: [img]http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w24/grae_photos/0fc9_12.jpg[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 23 Feb 2007 11:43 PM 
Gallery Friend

Does anyone recognize this tailpiece? http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w24/ ... 1172292108

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 24 Feb 2007 10:48 PM 
Virtuoso

Yep, those tailpieces were used on many Kay hollowbodies. My guess is that's where this one's pedigree lies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 26 Feb 2007 05:04 PM 
Gallery Friend

Right now the guitar is at the shop being set up, but i have picture of the switches. Click Here They don't seem real common at least from my surfing experience. I've only seen one other guitar with similar switches. I think it was a Sekova but i can't find it again :-? Of course the headstock didn't match with the Sekova but...i guess, one piece of the puzzle at a time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 26 Feb 2007 07:35 PM 
Virtuoso

The pickups sure look Kawai.