The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Mon 29 Apr 2024 03:16 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Mon 26 Mar 2012 01:40 AM 
Virtuoso

Picked this little bad boy off craigs list... I saw one on ebay and it had brass pickup rings and creme pickups. So i figured this one was modded, but it hasn't been. The innards still have the original active switch (gain boost) and it all looks original. The fretboard looks like striped ebony as well, which was a pleasant surprise. Nice thick neck too. Looks like a 3 piece sandwich, with 2 maples and 1 mahogany? I really have no clue. Any help with info on this guitar? factory? quantity?

Build quality is pretty darn good, no complaints. Neck is true and has great tone. I love these old 70s neck throughs man...awesome

Oh... and very cool triple dot inlays... had a lotus that had these too, but this guitar smokes that one by a long shot.

Thanks guys

PostPosted: Mon 26 Mar 2012 08:19 AM 
Virtuoso

Cort Guitar's are made by Cort and are located in Korea... They made some nice neckthrue instrument in the late 80's were yours come from.

There was a Cort Forum that I wanted to post a link but does not seem to be there anymore?....

PostPosted: Mon 26 Mar 2012 09:26 AM 
Virtuoso

Not much to complain about here. The pups are an odd installation but everything else appears smokin'! :up:

PostPosted: Mon 26 Mar 2012 09:34 AM 
Virtuoso

Compare it to the 1st run RS models. Hardware and electronics are different but the body and neck look extremely similar.
Even the TRC. . . :-?

http://www.matsumoku.org/models/ariaproii/rs1/rs1.html

PostPosted: Mon 26 Mar 2012 11:05 AM 
Virtuoso

Nice, I like the pup setting. To me it makes more sense than a strat which has the pup angled so that the higher strings will get less gain at the bridge than the low strings. It looks like it would have been a top of the line model.

PostPosted: Mon 26 Mar 2012 02:52 PM 
Virtuoso

RSBBass wrote:
Nice, I like the pup setting. To me it makes more sense than a strat which has the pup angled so that the higher strings will get less gain at the bridge than the low strings. It looks like it would have been a top of the line model.
Oh the angle is fine for a single coil, it's just very odd mounting them like HB's. :toopid: Looks weird.

PostPosted: Mon 26 Mar 2012 05:56 PM 
Virtuoso

Well if you don't have a pick guard that is a good way to mount them. Modern single coil top mounts are a bit more streamlined though.

PostPosted: Mon 26 Mar 2012 06:13 PM 
Virtuoso

Yeah, I liked this guitar in creme pickups with gold pickups more but dang... for 350 shipped with the original hardshell case, I could NOT complain one bit!!!

PostPosted: Mon 26 Mar 2012 08:25 PM 
Virtuoso

kudogg wrote:
for 350 shipped with the original hardshell case, I could NOT complain one bit!!!

Hell of a good deal... This model does not show up all that much...I also have some Cort`s... the neckthrues in particular....If you find a serial number on it, the first 2 numbers are the year of production.....Most neckthrues wont have serial numbers but some do... I would say yours is a 86-88 model... Cort was making lots of model copied from Japan... the VA800 copies are all Cort made.... The brass inlays are a giveaway....

Again... very nice guitar..... :love:

if one would show up here, I would grab it....

PostPosted: Tue 27 Mar 2012 12:09 PM 
Virtuoso

The head this guitar copies (RS/TS) was discontinued in 80 or 81. Would this have been made earlier than 86?