The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Mon 13 May 2024 03:30 PM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: POLARIS LP
PostPosted: Wed 18 Jun 2008 11:49 PM 
Power Chorder

I just picked up a LP copy that was spray painted spray-chrome,..so I lightly sanded the top of the headstock,and the name on it is "Polaris", with a small "star" for the I's dot.
The body is a carved top,of unknown wood (until I sand it down) with a light mahogany, or maple neck, rosewood fretboard, w/small pearl block inlays. It has the wrap around, single compensated bar type tailpiece, 2 humbuckers,2 volume,2 tone, 3 way toggle,(the body was missing everything but the bridge studs).
Can anyone give me any info on this guitar or brand? I'm planning on restoring/refinishing it, so any help would be appreciated!
Thanx in advance.
Norm

Post subject: Re: POLARIS LP
PostPosted: Sat 21 Mar 2009 08:57 PM 
Virtuoso

It's ME...I forgot my old password, do I had to use a "new" username...now I go by skylark41 (original, isn't it :blush: ).
BUT, I'd still like any info on POLARIS guitars, as i've got an old (70's, maybe) Polaris LP style neck. It's got block inlays, but they only go to the 17th fret. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanx,
Norm

PostPosted: Sun 22 Mar 2009 10:10 AM 
Virtuoso

Hi Norm - pics would be very useful here, for both the guitar & the neck. Inlays to the 17th fret usually suggest early 70s, probably '73 or earlier. Usually these necks will also have rounded heel-end corners & slightly rounded corners on the inlays themselves.

As far as the Polaris brand is concerned, I have heard the name but don't remember ever seeing one in the flesh. I'm in the UK , and most importer brands like this are regional - whereabouts in the world are you?

Jon.

PostPosted: Sun 22 Mar 2009 11:05 PM 
Virtuoso

Hey Jon, I'm in Plattsburgh,NY (right near Lake Champlain), it's about 2 hrs. south of Montreal,Quebec.
The neck does have rounded heel corners, and rounded block inlays as well, with a Gibson,"open Book" style headstock shape.
I'll post a pic as soon as possible.( I can't find the USB canle to the camera :blush: )
Norm LaDuke

PostPosted: Sat 04 Apr 2009 11:55 PM 
Virtuoso

The inlays do just go to the 17th fret, and the neck heel seems to be a bit smaller than a Strat neck heel (less than 2-3/16").
When I found the guitar, it had the neck screwed to it, but I'm not exactly sure if they belonged together.