The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Tue 14 May 2024 06:18 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 7 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat 04 Oct 2008 06:41 AM 
Axe Slinger

Does anyone know anything about these? I bought one of Ebay. It says 'made in Japan' on it and I think there is a good chance it is Matsumoku as they made guitars for Vox from 81-85
[/img]

Last edited by Junkmale on Sat 11 Oct 2008 11:42 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 07 Oct 2008 11:00 AM 
Virtuoso

Photos?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 11 Oct 2008 11:40 AM 
Axe Slinger

Here are some Pics:

http://s431.photobucket.com/albums/qq36/junkmale2000/?albumview=slideshow

The tuners have been replaced at some point - I think they would originally have been kluson style. I have replaced the bridge with an identical Gotoh. I have replaced the pickups as only one was working, hence the original pickup photo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 11 Oct 2008 07:49 PM 
Virtuoso

Aha - the mysterious shield-shaped neckplate! I've never owned this exact guitar but I've been upclose & personal with some of its relatives! Have a look & read of this, your guitar's related to my SG and even more closely to the bass I had in 1978, back when dinosaurs ran things:

http://www.matsumoku.org/ggboard/viewtopic.php?t=2926

I'd hazard a guess that your guitar's about 10 years older than your suggestion of 81 - 85. Also I don't think the "original" pickup's original (although the metal pup ring is) and I think the bridge & tailpiece might be replacements too. I think this would have had gold hardware & covered pups, like my SG. I'll also hazard a guess that the neck on this will be that odd "strip mahogany" laminate, rather than solid timber. Have a close look & see if there's any grain pattern visible through the paint on the neck or head.

As for Matsumoku, I don't know, theirs seem to be the 80s original designs rather than copies. That said, the builder of these early shield-plate copies is still a mystery, and until someone unearths one with a brand with a thoroughly recorded history, they'll probably stay that way.

Jon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 12 Oct 2008 06:31 AM 
Axe Slinger

Hi. Thanks for the info. Sorry - my original post should have been clearer - it's the Custom and Standard Voxes that were made in the 80s.
The VG2 was definitely made between 69-71. See this ad:
http://i431.photobucket.com/albums/qq36/junkmale2000/VG2/VG2ad.jpg
I think you're right about the pickups - the originals look like PAFs. I think the ad shows that the current bridge is correct. Unusually, I suppose, for this era it deosn't have a tailpiece, although its companions the VG4 and VG6 did. The logo pattern on the head seems to be differen to the one in the add, though. Mine has an abalone inlaid 'Vox'.
There are definitely grain patterns on the head, so it is probably laminate - I thought it had been hand painted!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 13 Oct 2008 04:14 PM 
Virtuoso

i own since a few months an unbranded SG with the same neckplate, and becasue he needed a complete refin i removed the neck and found on that place this stamp.
the yoshino logo if i'm not mistaken?
lord bizarre thought it was a zen-on and that man is almost always right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 14 Oct 2008 05:37 AM 
Virtuoso

wietse wrote:
i own since a few months an unbranded SG with the same neckplate, and becasue he needed a complete refin i removed the neck and found on that place this stamp.
the yoshino logo if i'm not mistaken?
lord bizarre thought it was a zen-on and that man is almost always right.

"Yoshino"? That's new to me - got any more info/links? This is why I ask:

http://www.matsumoku.org/ggboard/viewtopic.php?t=3751

I was stumped by this one & couldn't find any positive ID - the Custom brand seems to have been one sourced from numerous factories, including Matsumoku & Fujigen - but I'm pretty certain this wasn't either. I've subsequently seen Fernandes-brand LP Jrs identical (as far as I can tell) to mine - but their origin's a mystery.

No shield-plate on that one, though, and I haven't removed the neck on my SG thingy to find out if it has a "Y" stamp - one of the neck bolts was sheared when I got it & I'm not risking any more!

J.