The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Fri 29 Mar 2024 03:00 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 11 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
PostPosted: Sat 18 Oct 2014 01:29 PM 
Power Chorder

Bumping this old thread because I have a near identical Harmony. The seller (Guitar Center -- used guitar department) assured me it was made in Japan. I did a LOT of internet searching and found no Harmony close to this in appearance, except the one in this thread. However, I did find the Vantage Artist 800 which has basically an identical neck through appearance (three light strips of identical width), the exact same electronics in the exact same positions as mine (two tone, two volume, input jack, coil split switch, and three way selector all in the exact same positions). And even the bridge / saddle hardware looks identical in shape.

My guitar, unlike the one that started this thread, does not have a second switch next to the coil split switch...I'm guessing either that was a phase switch or maybe it allowed spitting one but not both pick ups. Mine, like the Vantage Artist 800, only has the one coil split switch.

I'd be pretty astounded if Harmony had asked some Korean maker to copy a Vantage Artist 800 since, as nice as they were, there were better selling and more popular guitars to copy if you wanted to do that. It seems much more plausible that the Harmony model was also a Matsumoku build, since that factory made a lot of near identical neck-through guitars for different brands, so much so that competitors were sometimes selling near twins.

However, I'd love more info. I don't even know a model name for this guitar, or model number, or anything. I've read that Harmony was such a prolific seller of guitars that NONE of their guitars are rare, and there are lots of all of them floating around. However, based on my inability to find any other examples of this guitar, I'd have to say it's an exception to that rule, and it does seem to be quite rare and quite a mystery.

Anyway, I was GAS-ing for one of these older neck-through Japanese guitars for a while, never expected I'd find a Harmony that fit the bill, was not even on my radar. I would appreciate any more info anyone on here can provide as to confirming the specs on my guitar -- year, model name, model number, sister models, woods used, pick up types, etc. I'm not a luthier or anything, the most I've done on guitars is change strings, adjust bridge/saddle and maybe a minor truss adjustment. But I'd be willing to open some cavities, remove pick ups, if I thought that would help get me more details about his guitar.

Of course, I do hope it turns out to be a Matsumoku "twin" of the Vantage Artist 800 since I've read great things about that particular Vantage model, but whatever it is, it is, and I still love the look, feel, sound, fit and finish of it. It also came in an older hard case that fits it so well, and shows interior aging (though the exterior is amazingly clean) that I'm thinking it may be the OHSC that came with this guitar, but it has no label on it, no exterior emblem, so not sure if there's any way to evaluate that, too.

Any advice or information appreciated.

Ken
krm27@yahoo.com

Attachments:
IMG_2136-small2.jpg
IMG_2136-small2.jpg [ 77.24 KiB | Viewed 604 times ]
IMG_2135-small2.jpg
IMG_2135-small2.jpg [ 87.23 KiB | Viewed 604 times ]
IMG_2133-small2.jpg
IMG_2133-small2.jpg [ 92.96 KiB | Viewed 604 times ]