The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Fri 29 Mar 2024 06:20 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: ID #
PostPosted: Fri 21 Aug 2009 01:02 PM 
Gallery Friend

I reecently bought a Westbury Standard in mint condition. I would like to know if anyone has a sight or can identify the ID # wheich is 32315 Thank you

Post subject: Re: ID #
PostPosted: Sat 22 Aug 2009 06:19 PM 
Virtuoso

Hi Tld,
some pics could be helpfull (and fun to watch anyway :D )
First hunch would be 1983, going with the usual Matsumoku dating-by-serial number ...
This site might be helpfull: http://www.univox.org/guitars/

PostPosted: Sun 23 Aug 2009 07:30 AM 
Virtuoso

I'd say 1983 as well. And posting the same thing in several parts of the forum is baad :P

PostPosted: Sun 23 Aug 2009 08:12 AM 
Virtuoso

Westbury serials seem to be a bit inconsistent - some seem to be 7-digit Matsumoku style, some have initial letter + 6 digits, like Fujigen, & yours has a 5-digit number. Is it on a Unicord sticker? Please do post some pics.

Personally I'd like to see more Westbury discussion on these boards - there doesn't seem to be anywhere else they get talked about any more. A few years ago there was a dedicated Westbury forum attached to an attempted re-launch of the brand, but that's gone now, and the Univox forums have been offline for ever.

I've got two Westburys (Standard guitar & Track 2 bass - and they're both excellent instruments.

Jon.

PostPosted: Sun 23 Aug 2009 09:50 AM 
Gallery Friend

Thanks for the replies regarding the Id#s and Sorry for posting in several areas - new mwmber and not familiar with how this Foram works.

PostPosted: Tue 29 Dec 2015 12:19 AM 
Gallery Friend

New member here and I know this is a super old post but because I'm trying to find out as much about my guitar as possible I stumbled on this one.
I can comment on the inconsistency thing. I have seen the site that talks about the first digit being the year, but I'm not sure if that's always the case unless mine was made in 74.
Mine is one of the ones with only 5 digits, no letters and begins with a 4 but since I got it in 82 I know it was not made in 84. It was already pretty beat up around the corners and edges (especially near the jack) but I doubt it made in 74....but if so that would be great.

I will continue to look on these pages for clues about it, and if anybody responds here I'll post pics and see if you can help me ID mine as well.

PostPosted: Tue 29 Dec 2015 12:32 AM 
Virtuoso

Westbury, eh; that's a rabbit hole I haven't been down, but hopefully one of the more knowledgeable blokes will be along soon to shed some light on this - providing there's light there somewhere to shed!! :D

I say hopefully because traffic in here has got quite light over the last couple of years..... :(

PostPosted: Tue 29 Dec 2015 01:46 AM 
Gallery Friend

Yeah I noticed that. I figured I'd post and see if any good info came up. Kind a ghost town though, at least in the lesser known guitar areas.

PostPosted: Wed 23 Mar 2016 06:05 AM 
Gallery Friend

Corsair wrote:
Westbury, eh; that's a rabbit hole I haven't been down, but hopefully one of the more knowledgeable blokes will be along soon to shed some light on this - providing there's light there somewhere to shed!! :D

I say hopefully because traffic in here has got quite light over the last couple of years..... :(

Hello, I can help. Go to www.westburyguitars.com and then go to the "Vintage Models" link, you'll find all the information that you're looking for.