The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Fri 29 Mar 2024 12:45 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Cherry Poppin post
PostPosted: Tue 27 Sep 2011 05:15 AM 
Gallery Friend

Ok Guys and Guyettes.
My first post.
This has been driving me mad.
Background as follows.;My son has recently purchased his 11th guitar.
As a result of his involvement with guitars I too am slowly turning into guitar geek.
This latest purchase is an SG Copy which I spotted in a 2nd hand record shop (Bring back LPs...I can spend hours browsing old albums I had when I was a teen) It was in pretty poor shape but worked.
After straightening the neck and putting a new gibson bridge on it it sounds great and plays relly well (according to my son.....I have the musical ability of a bog roll). We are still trying to source a trem bar and spring for it
The only identifying marks on it are are the neck plate which has "MIJ Steel adjustable neck and the serial number 0164825" on it. The wiring to the pots looks original and better than his 87/88 Pisley strat.
Our guess is that it could be an Aria but we haven't got further than that. This is only based on the research I've done (Lazt little B****R will only play it) and a picture of the interweb.
The trem roller bar ( is that correct term?) is a seperate item from the bigsbyesque trem. It has a two layered batwing scratch plate on the bottom and the truss rod cover is a matching two layered affaire. It also has an "open book" headstock
I have attached a photo "ripped" off the web which leads me to believe that it is an Aria.
Other options are possibly Jedson, Kent, Raven, Lyle or Penco .
If any of you know of any other options please could you let me know.
It'll stop me going mad and increase my cred with a 15 yo hormonal pain in the A**.
He has told me that he just wants it for bedroom bashing (not that kind!) and doesn't want to sell it as it is quite a curio. so for the £140 he paid for it its not lost, although I would be curious to know its sell on value in case he P****s me off so much that I sell it !
Thanks in advance, a father at his wits end

Swampy
Attachment:
File comment: Ripped photo of very similar SG
Aria SG1976.jpg
Aria SG1976.jpg [ 8.14 KiB | Viewed 1410 times ]

Post subject: CHERRY POPPIN
PostPosted: Tue 27 Sep 2011 09:04 AM 
Gallery Friend

MOD EDIT - Duplicate post:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=8103&p=53096#p53096

TOPICS MERGED

Post subject: Re: Cherry Poppin post
PostPosted: Tue 27 Sep 2011 04:20 PM 
Virtuoso

Dear Wits End

Welcome

Looks like a Matsumoku to me. I think that it is not a bad buy at the price and £150/£175 should be OK. And its a quite a good looker too! I am no expert but it could be Aria. Those pesky kids drive you nuts don't they!!

Hoax

PostPosted: Tue 27 Sep 2011 06:26 PM 
Virtuoso

Hey Swampy! Check this link below...

http://www.matsumoku.org/models/aria/solid/sg/19xx.html

Your son's appears to be a model 1932 with the Bigsby-style trem added. Not certain if that was a factory install or not. One of our more seasoned pairs of eyes will be along shortly to confirm.

Welcome!

PostPosted: Wed 28 Sep 2011 03:22 AM 
Axe Slinger

Howdy,

I went through the process of identifying an unbranded SG myself a while ago.

A few notes:
- Both Fujigen Gakki and Matsumoku made unbranded SGs with the "open book" headstock in the 1970s.
- The Fuji ones were often sold as Ibanez, the Mats as Arias
- Both had 3-piece necks
- The differences were subtle, my Fuji just had "Made In Japan" on the neck plate with no other text.
- Fuji ones had no serial numbers prior to 1974.
- They used slightly different machine heads (photos would help here).
- Scratch plates varied greatly between models and may help to narrow down the search.
- The knobs shown were used on various Fuji models
- The electronics used may also be revealing - any markings on the pots?

You might find it useful to check out some older Ibanez catalogues.

Good luck with your search. Any chance of some details photos?

Regards,

Tony C.

1984 Westone Thunder 1 Lefty
1981 Vantage VSH-455 Lefty
1973 Ibanez 2354S Lefty (made on the other side of Matsumoto)
(plus a couple of Yamaha acoustics)

PostPosted: Wed 28 Sep 2011 04:31 AM 
Gallery Friend

Well. What a great response.
I'm checking the times of responses and am thinking that you're either in a different time zone or you are all rock n roll nocturns! Either way thanks Very helpful.
Pictures. The guitar is currently being serviced by our local music shop. Apparently the tone pots weren't working too well ( I wouldn't have known) and we think that the guy who owns the shop can source a trem bar and spring.
If I can I'll get some pictures Friday PM (GMT). Can't do it Saturday as the shooting season starts.
My son will know waht you guys mean re "three piece necks" and "machine heads"!
I have already asked the shop to check for id markings on the pots although I couldn't see any (doesn't mean they arent there). Knobs I suspect may not be conclusive as the two tone knobs were unattached and the one remaining tone knob that was supplied in a bag with springs and broken bridge pieces doesn't quite match the two volume knobs. But again I'm a bit green with regard to the finer details. So I appreciate the advise.
I will of course keep everyone posted so that credibility ratings can be boasted by those that were right........hey we live in a competitive world folks!
On the down side...I now have to research Fuji Gakki which means my work will suffer.....However; A day without education is a day lost in your life!...Hence my aged appearance.
thanks again and I will post pictures ASAP.
Bestest Regards

Swampy

PostPosted: Wed 28 Sep 2011 07:22 AM 
Axe Slinger

> you're either in a different time zone or you are all rock n roll nocturns!

A bit of both. Greetings from late-night Sydney Australia.

> My son will know waht you guys mean re "three piece necks" and "machine heads"!

Both Fujigen and Matsumoku made necks out of 3 pieces of timber laminated together. The grain of the center piece is at right-angles to the other 2. This means that the necks are not prone to warping. If you look closely at the neck you can see the joins. It isn't conclusive, but it's a hint that the guitar was made in the town of Matsumoto by one of these manufacturers.

The machine heads (tuners) varied between models and manufacturers. My Ibanez copy had very distinctive ones that were quite different to those used my Matsumoku (and most other manufacturers). Once again, not necessarily conclusive, but can narrow the search considerably.

( see my post here http://www.matsumoku.org/ggboard/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=7386 for some examples)

Iceman may well be correct that you have an Aria 1932, but checking these things can confirm or deny it.

Regards,

Tony C.

1984 Westone Thunder 1 Lefty
1981 Vantage VSH-455 Lefty
1973 Ibanez 2354S Lefty (made on the other side of Matsumoto)
(plus a couple of Yamaha acoustics)

PostPosted: Wed 28 Sep 2011 09:45 AM 
Gallery Friend

Morning Tony.
I wont mention the RWC or Ireland. My Dad was Australian so I feel your pain man!
Thanks for the info.
I am hoping to take a flyer and get to the shop before it closes however I will have to break a few speed limits to do it so it might have to wait until Friday before I get a looksee.

Thanks again
Swampy

PostPosted: Wed 28 Sep 2011 08:37 PM 
Virtuoso

Swampy wrote:
...The only identifying marks on it are are the neck plate which has "MIJ Steel adjustable neck and the serial number 0164825" on it.
That "Steel Adjustable Neck" stamp is usually a tip off that you have a Mats made guitar.

PostPosted: Thu 29 Sep 2011 04:28 AM 
Gallery Friend

Barry wrote:
Swampy wrote:
...The only identifying marks on it are are the neck plate which has "MIJ Steel adjustable neck and the serial number 0164825" on it.
That "Steel Adjustable Neck" stamp is usually a tip off that you have a Mats made guitar.

Were the stamps unique to Matsumoko? Or were they plates that were interchanged between brands As Matsumoko from my understanding made guitars for other brands.........Jeeeez for a guy that can't play I really am turning into a guitar geek.... Or does that make it definately an Aria. However It wouldn't be earth shattering news to learn that I am wrong.
Thanks again folks. "Information is knowledge and beautiful" (Joes Garage Acts II & III. Frank Zappa)

rgds

Swampy