The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Fri 29 Mar 2024 01:09 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue 26 Jul 2022 07:37 PM 
Power Chorder

Has anyone tried the Electra LP copies from the 2010's and later? These were made in Korea, but the Guitar World review below claimed that they had "better build quality" than the classic Matsumoku models:

https://www.guitarworld.com/magazine/re ... lack-video

I've seen a few for sale online in the $500-$600 range, and if it's true that the build quality is better than the Japanese originals, then that price is quite a bargain indeed. But I would be interested to hear comments from anyone who has owned/played one.

PostPosted: Wed 27 Jul 2022 09:20 AM 
Virtuoso

This is the first I've heard of their comeback.
As much as I love Matsumoku guitars, to compete today, their build quality better be as good or better. Notice it has a lot of features that we take for granted in a Mat like the belly route, coil splitting and heel contour. I can only imagine this would be a monster.
I thank you for sharing this. My wife will not be happy. . . :rofl:

Quality service since 3:00 last Tuesday

PostPosted: Wed 27 Jul 2022 03:30 PM 
Power Chorder

Korean guitars have gotten much better over the past 3 decades. My first 2 guitars as a kid in the '70s were a Korean Kent shaped somewhat like a Fender Mustang, followed by a Korean Memphis LP copy (the LP-100 bolt-neck model). Neither were what I would call "garbage," but they weren't great either. I think even today's cheapest Chinese Epiphones and Squiers have better build quality (and definitely better electronics).

From the 70's through the mid-90's, people joked about Korean guitars much the same way that some today joke about Chinese guitars.

Fast forward to 2011-2012, when I owned a Wechter Pathmaker (yes, Wechter made solid-body electrics for a brief period in the early 2010's), a Michael Kelly Patriot Custom, and a PRS SE-245 - all Korean. Excellent build quality and playability. The Wechter and MK actually had full-thickness flame maple caps (not veneers), and the Wechter was factory-plekked, so the playability/action was top-notch. So it wouldn't surprise me if the Korean Electras were better-built than the Mat ones.

These days, new Korean guitars are no longer the superb bargain that they were a decade ago, often commanding 4-figure USD prices. But Indonesian-made instruments have taken quite a leap, quality-wise. (Check out the PRS SE's and the ESP LTD's). I'm still not impressed with Chinese guitars, but it wouldn't surprise me if they started getting better too.

PostPosted: Wed 27 Jul 2022 11:02 PM 
Virtuoso

You are correct. A low-end guitar today would easily be as good or better than a mid-range guitar when I was a kid. My first guitar was a 1977 or 1978 Global LP from JCPenney. I thought it was pretty cool but it didn't compare to my friend's Gibson. I have not checked it but I believe the nut is not in the right place. It will tune open but nothing is in tune after that. I think Crusty said he had similar issue with a few Vantage Ghost guitars? I still have my Global and maybe one day I'll scope it out.
I got an Indonesian Gretsch 2655T (small body) a few years ago (brand new - $400) and the build quality was superb. I was very impressed. I never could bond with it due to its size so I sold it. I just got a 2622T (large body) and it has the same build quality. It stays in tune very well even with the Bigsby. I've not done anything to it but set it up to my liking. This guitar sells new for $650 and I got it for $399 shipped to my house. Its a year old, not one scratch and still had all the plastic on it. And, it has Gretsch's version of P90's. I dig it a lot!

Quality service since 3:00 last Tuesday