The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Thu 28 Mar 2024 11:51 PM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 2 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed 03 Jun 2015 04:15 PM 
Power Chorder

I got this yesterday. It's got one single coil pickup, fixed bridge, one tone and one volume knob, shaped like a strat, no pick guard. The frets are surprisingly tall, rosewood fingerboard in nice shape. Neck seems to be maple, one piece, bolt on.

I set it up last night and could not stop playing it. Based on the playability, I'd like to think it was Matsumoku. But honestly, I'd probably guess it's a Korean-made Memphis, since I think it would have been a cheaper entry in their line up. And it has a black plastic nut.

Anyway, since I don't know for sure, I thought I'd check here for info on this.

I love Matsumoku guitars, and now that I'm trying to get my kids to play, I'd love to find some Matsumoku 3/4 guitars. That's why I jumped at this Memphis, figured it might be as close as I am gonna get. But I have two kids, could use a second 3/4 guitar, so I'm still looking.

So, anyone have thoughts on whether this Memphis would be Korea or Japan, or what year, let me know (a catalog page showing this would be ideal).

Or anyone know knows about other 3/4 70s or 80s imports, preferably from Japan, I'd like to know more about what's out there that is good, so I can keep my eyes peeled.

Lastly, if anyone wants pics, I can try to get a few uploaded here.

Ken

PostPosted: Thu 04 Jun 2015 10:20 AM 
Virtuoso

Pics?

Most Memphis guitars I've seen aren't Mats, no matter how much eBay sellers want them to be. If you like the guitar, it really doesn't matter.

The Quest/Vantage travel guitar is a good little Mats. There's one on eBay now.