The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Fri 29 Mar 2024 12:24 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Shiro Model ID/Dating
PostPosted: Mon 22 Oct 2018 10:17 AM 
Prospective Member

Greetings!
I need some professional help identifying and dating this Shiro guitar! The previous owner was no help.

I've found 3 earlier posts concerning a Shiro Guitar, but in most of them, the attached photos are no longer available. Thus, i can not say if the guitar I got is already identified.
Here the Topics:
http://www.matsumoku.org/ggboard/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=4581&start=0
http://www.matsumoku.org/ggboard/viewtopic.php?t=4790
http://www.matsumoku.org/ggboard/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=4699

Anyway, whatever guitars were posted, i found some info regarding the Shiro Brand.
Quote:
"Shiro was the namesake label for Shiro Aai, and produced as suspected by Matsumoku. Pretty much followed the designs of the same period Aria Pro IIs, in particular the TS and RS 1st run.

There have been a handful pass through eBay, and I played one much like the one pictured at a pawn shop but never really felt at home with the TS so I let that one go."
by user Crusty.

In other online sources this seems verified: http://jedistar.com/shiro/
Quote:
" “Shiro” guitars had been produced by ARIA TATSUNO & ARIA NAGOYA GUITAR FACTORIES around 1970 – 1982 or 1983.
In Aria classic guitar line made in Japan, we had two lines, one was A550-series that had been sold by Aria Germany, BSA Musikinstrumente GmbH, and AC-series had been sold under the name of “Shiro” by Gotthold Meyer. “Shiro” is named from Shiro Arai, founder of ARIA GUITARS, ARAI & CO., INC.

“I remember SHIRO guitars, firstly Gotthold Meyer in Germany wanted to have Guitars from us, but we had BSA Musik for ARIA, and we named as “SHIRO” for Gotthold, the name of SHIRO was chosen as No. 1 quality products in Germany at that time.” (...)

BUT: On the "jedistar"-Site, the Shiro branding on the electric guitar looks different to the one I got. It looks like the Shiro branding on the acoustic guitar shown on that page.

The guitar features 24 Frets and a set neck, so no info from or beneath the neck-plate. It has got 2 coil-splitting switches and one extra Cap switch(or whatever its called). The PU are potted and only have a Serial number on their bottom (21 1019).

Here photos of the guitar.
Attachment:
_MG_0571 k.jpg
_MG_0571 k.jpg [ 260.79 KiB | Viewed 1078 times ]

Attachment:
_MG_0578 k.jpg [230.51 KiB]
Downloaded 90 times

In the neck PU pocket is a factory stamp, maybe helpful:
Attachment:
_MG_0560 k.jpg
_MG_0560 k.jpg [ 377.85 KiB | Viewed 1078 times ]

If anybody knows something about this guitar model and/or in which years they were made , please enlighten me.

Best regards, MrSatan from Austria

PostPosted: Fri 26 Oct 2018 04:39 PM 
Axe Slinger

I'm not convinced it's Mats.

The body stripes don't look quite right and I've not seen the Japanese symbols (can't remember what the proper name is for them) on Mats guitars, but have seen them on others. To me it looks more Chushin...

... but just my opinion.