The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Sat 18 May 2024 10:04 PM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Westbury Custom S
PostPosted: Tue 23 Aug 2011 10:49 AM 
Gallery Friend

I have a 1979 (I think) that I have been thinking of selling. After listing it a few times and getting some questions on it, I decided to try to find more info so I knew exactly what I had. I'm also having people try to tell me what I do or don't have and it's annoying not really knowing who is right and who is trying to get a bargain.

I bought it about 16 years ago. The guy that sold it to me usually knows his stuff when it comes to guitars, but I'd like to just get some verification. He told me it's a 79.

I've attached some pics. I was thinking I could get at least $500 for it, maybe $600, but I haven't had much luck so far. What is it worth?

Aaron

Attachments:
body-small.jpg [70.08 KiB]
Downloaded 194 times
neck-small.jpg [70.32 KiB]
Downloaded 194 times
serial-small.jpg
serial-small.jpg [ 83.29 KiB | Viewed 779 times ]
 Post subject: Re: Westbury Custom S
PostPosted: Tue 23 Aug 2011 12:35 PM 
Virtuoso

Welcome Aaron, nice looking guitar.
From the serial, I'd say its an '81 model. If it were mine, I'd probably be looking to get the same for it but that doesn't really mean anything. It's only worth what someone will pay. Got more pics?

PostPosted: Tue 23 Aug 2011 01:05 PM 
Gallery Friend

I don't have any more yet, but I'm going to get some more. I was going to put it on ebay when I decided that I just don't have enough info for it. Honestly, if I didn't want a new camera so dang bad I wouldn't even be considering this. :lol: I'm going to take some more time to get some better pictures. The only thing wrong with it is the knobs and switches are a little dirty and the finish has some cracking around the edges of the body where it looks like it might have been dropped or knocked against something at some time. In the 16 or so years I've had it, it's mostly been inside the case. I'm not a musician. I wanted to learn to play and I went a fair distance with that, but I've decided that I'm a much better photographer than I am a musician. :lol:

Anyway, I'll try to set up some shots of it tonight.

PostPosted: Tue 23 Aug 2011 05:54 PM 
Virtuoso

She's a beauty! Love that burst finish.

PostPosted: Tue 23 Aug 2011 08:24 PM 
Virtuoso

Nice guitar. Where are you? Around the NY metro area they tend to go for more as people know them. Westbury was based in Westbury, Long Island. Around here, you should get the $600 if you are patient.

PostPosted: Tue 23 Aug 2011 08:26 PM 
Gallery Friend

I'm in Port Huron, Michigan. It's about 60 miles north of Detroit. Things are pretty rough right now for people here, so there aren't many people buying things. I'll keep it out there to see. I'll port more pics here soon too just in case someone happens by and sees it. I'm glad I found out it's a 81 though instead of a 79. I'd hate to be mistaken about that.

PostPosted: Mon 12 Sep 2011 05:40 PM 
Gallery Friend

I just wanted to let you guys know.. I had been putting off getting more pics of it, but had to eventually because I was contacted by someone in New Jersey. They found it on usedguitarsales.com and also my craigslist ad. He sent me the money via paypal and once it cleared I shipped it off. I got my asking price, so I was happy (and sad at the same time).

I'm going to miss it. :bawl: