The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Tue 14 May 2024 10:26 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue 03 Apr 2012 05:39 PM 
Virtuoso

mozart wrote:
well done! :rockwoot:

Jorg wrote:
Well done indeed.

Thank's guy's ... fun doing it...

PostPosted: Tue 03 Apr 2012 05:44 PM 
Virtuoso

Barry wrote:
Shweet Pete, er, Pierre!
Great resto.

In the last 6 months or so I have restored 3 Gibson Trini's for a client collector, one was a stereo model. They're a bit odd looking. In essence, they are ES335's having a bad hair day. :look:

Your Pan does not look like she has a solid centre though? So more like an ES330 then?

It must of been fun for you to actually play with 3 of these rare birds... :up:

Mine only has a block inside were the bridge sits... I did not know these had solid centers...

It's exactly the same body as the other Mats semi hollows except for the sound hole and headstock... but these make it a different guitar... in looks that is... :lol:

PostPosted: Tue 03 Apr 2012 05:45 PM 
Virtuoso

RSBBass wrote:
Nice. My wife wants me to get one. She is a Foo Fighters fan.

Thank's... Every wife needs one... Have a Menthos :yeah:

:D

PostPosted: Tue 03 Apr 2012 05:46 PM 
Virtuoso

eyebulger wrote:
Nice one Bloke :up: :up:

Thanks Mate... One down....

:loon:

PostPosted: Tue 03 Apr 2012 07:59 PM 
Virtuoso

Frenchy wrote:
...It must of been fun for you to actually play with 3 of these rare birds... :up:
Didn't get too much playing time on them, just a quick test in the shop. They were all circa 1965 instruments, two red ones and a rare pelham blue! Played and sounded much like a 335. The vintage HB pups had great tone as you'd expect!

They are a tad heavier though, primarily because of that wacky Firebird headstock, and one had a Bigsby!
The stereo version was especially heavy because of the shielding "cans" on the pots and massive "chokes" which were part of the varitone circuit: http://030be21.netsolhost.com/WordPress/2010/06/16/what-the-heck-is-a-shielding-can/ (Technically I suppose it was an ES-345)

Didn't care too much for that feature. Neither did the owner and he wanted it all replaced, especially since a standard mono jack plug can only engage one pup at a time depending on where you stop while inserting it. I talked him out of doing it to avoid killing the vintage value, and instead rigged up a stereo plug to convert to mono output. Et voilà la fromage!

He was a happy camper! :D

PostPosted: Mon 09 Apr 2012 10:28 AM 
Axe Slinger

Looks great Pierre :)

PostPosted: Tue 10 Apr 2012 11:05 AM 
Virtuoso

Fajah wrote:
Looks great Pierre :)

Thank's Lawry,

It actually came out waaaay better then planed....Seriously, it had so many scratches on it... was not inspired to even try and put her back together... but, that compound did work magic on it...no scratches left on this baby :love:

Next up is the ES335 copy that you so generously donated your single pick ups for.... My only draw back on that one is that I was looking for some thick 1 ply black pick-guard material but still have not found any... Actually, it can be a different color, torquoise... I ordered from 2 separate places so far and received nice sheets but not the thickness I want... they don't seem to make them as thick anymore... The new sheets are 3 ply but thin 3 ply... I'm looking for the old type 5 thick ply.... none to be found..

Any one know of a good place for some thick pick guard material..... I need thick since will also use to make pickup rings...

Or, I could try my hand at wood rings... :idea:

Hum....

PostPosted: Tue 10 Apr 2012 11:07 AM 
Virtuoso

Barry wrote:
Didn't get too much playing time on them, just a quick test in the shop. They were all circa 1965 instruments, two red ones and a rare pelham blue! Played and sounded much like a 335. The vintage HB pups had great tone as you'd expect!

Just with that... I'm envious... :oops:

Would love to have just tested one on them.... :P

PostPosted: Tue 10 Apr 2012 02:08 PM 
Axe Slinger

Quote:

It actually came out waaaay better then planed....Seriously, it had so many scratches on it... was not inspired to even try and put her back together... but, that compound did work magic on it...no scratches left on this baby :love: \

What compound did you use?

Quote:
Next up is the ES335 copy that you so generously donated your single pick ups for.... My only draw back on that one is that I was looking for some thick 1 ply black pick-guard material but still have not found any... Actually, it can be a different color, torquoise... I ordered from 2 separate places so far and received nice sheets but not the thickness I want... they don't seem to make them as thick anymore... The new sheets are 3 ply but thin 3 ply... I'm looking for the old type 5 thick ply.... none to be found..Any one know of a good place for some thick pick guard material..... I need thick since will also use to make pickup rings...

I bought my pickguard material from Bezdez. I don't think it's as thick as you need but you could laminate two thin sheets together if you don't find what you want. The 3 ply I bought worked fine for both the neck and bridge.... keeping in mind that I used the material in conjunction with the existing bridge wood ring.

PostPosted: Tue 10 Apr 2012 03:58 PM 
Virtuoso

Fajah wrote:
What compound did you use?

I ll let you know once I m home tonight....

I never thought of taking 2 pieces to make the guard... Wonder if Titebond would be good enough for that.... Since spring is here and hopefully nice weather to come... I kind of like my idea of wood pup rings.... :yeah:

Might give that a go....

:loon:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next