The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Fri 29 Mar 2024 01:02 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 5 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri 23 May 2014 04:53 PM 
Virtuoso

This was on my bench when I arrived at work this morning (picture taken after repairs and setup):
It's a PAN (re-badged Aria 1502??) which has appeared on these Forum several times:
Image Image

The owner dropped it off yesterday (no case :roll: ) and asked if it could be repaired. The problem? Horrendous buzzing whenever the pickups or hardware was touched. Obviously some sort of grounding issue. Not so obvious was what was causing it.

I started with the selector and slider switch package (which is a very scary looking assembly!). Nothing unusual there except some insulation brittleness which I taped over, plus a lot of dust and general crud. Cleaned up OK. No change.

On to the pots and a look at the wiring inside. Cleaned. No change.

OK then, must be the pups:

First glance, looked OK...then I noticed the way the wiring was attached to the coil was unusual. The coil wire was a attached to a terminal strip and right next to it, the ground wire to its own terminal. What was weird was that the backside of the ground lug was not soldered into the plate as you might expect. Instead, there was a small square hole punched into the copper back plate into which a matching lug on the terminal strip was originally push-fit. A dry connection!

As I looked at this more closely, I realized that the lugs had all dropped out of the plate causing a massive short. My quick n dirty repair was to solder in a small jumper wire from the terminal lug to the plate (2 shown here in red, 1 in white. The orange circle indicates the small mounting hole in the plate):

The wires have the added benefit of stabilizing the connection as a whole thus preventing any further movement and potential breakage of the hot wire to the coil.

One last item of interest. The pickups are mounted on mahogany rings of varying thicknesses in order to attain the correct height:

Thought this might be helpful to any PAN owners out there who might be struggling with a buzzing problem.

p.s. This 'ole gal also suffered from some higher than comfortable action.
A look at the neck plate revealed that somebody had been tinkering with the neck before, since the plate had been installed upside down. :roll:
When I dropped the neck it revealed the original Mats shim plus a round cocktail toothpick...in front of it!! No idea what the fool was thinking there.

I replaced both with a suitably thicker plastic shim and now she plays like butta!

PostPosted: Sat 24 May 2014 05:41 PM 
Virtuoso

Location: Grand Absurdity, VA, temporary refuge of the Hollywood Avenger
:up: :up: :up:

Nice work, and nice write-up. Thanks, Barry!

je

1981 AV-320
1981 AV-320
1981 AV-325
1982 AV-320
1982 VS-695-12
1982 VSH-445
1983 AV-330
1995 VST 33 CE TBK

PostPosted: Tue 27 May 2014 04:14 PM 
Virtuoso

Nice save. These were around in several brands including Aria and Pan. I don't know who did the initial design.

PostPosted: Tue 27 May 2014 06:43 PM 
Virtuoso

Cheers lads. These initially look a little "odd" by modern design standards I suppose (especially the switching) but I can tell you, the neck is beautiful to play and the single coil pups sounds sweet and clear...and very quiet! Worth grabbing one if you've ever thought about it.

PostPosted: Thu 26 Feb 2015 12:36 PM 
Power Chorder

Wow Lovely guitar and post, thanks for the heads up