The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Fri 26 Apr 2024 02:46 PM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 5 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed 15 Aug 2018 09:44 PM 
Prospective Member

Hi,

I'm a new member here, my first ever guitar was a Westone Thunder Jet and the memory of just how good that guitar was has never left me. I played it until it needed a refret then moved onto telecasters,then started to buy a few Westones again a while back. I've now got a selection of various thunders, and a couple of higher end models.

A few weeks ago, a mate was clearing out his garage. Knowing I had a few guitars he got in touch and showed me what I think is an Aria Pro 2 YS series guitar. I'm unsure of the actual model, but with a little TLC I think there is a great guitar to be rescued.

The problem is a broken bridge saddle, on the e where the saddle design doesn't offer support from what would be the seventh string. I haven't looked through the forum properly yet for any previous similar issues, and I apologise for that. Would any members have information on any suitable saddle replacement, to keep her as clise to spec as I can? Or is there any replacement bridge on the market that would suit?

It goes against everything inside me to abandon the guitar, it would be awful to waste a quality instrument due to one small defect. Any helpful information would be absolutely fantastic, and thank you for taking the time to read my first post.

Kev.

PostPosted: Thu 16 Aug 2018 11:25 AM 
Virtuoso

Hi Kev,
You're right not to abandon this guitar! But I'm confused (not an unusual state for me). You mention "a seventh string"? Is this a 7 string model?? :-?

Assuming it's a 6 string, you're not likely to find an OEM part unless a member has a spare to offer.
The closest bridge design match that I have on any of my guitars would be the Vantage VP710 so I can't speak authoritatively, but looking at the catalogue pictures I would not expect that it would be difficult to find a replacement saddle (or more likely, a full set replacement for aesthetic reasons).

http://www.matsumoku.org/models/ariaproii/ys/ys.html

The main thing to keep in mind would be the saddle spacing which should be 10.5mm IIRC.

PostPosted: Thu 16 Aug 2018 11:28 AM 
Virtuoso

Welcome.
It looks like that model uses the really tall saddles like the CS series? You can shim the bridge and use fender style saddles.
Sometimes you can find parts online (ebay and such).

Quality service since 3:00 last Tuesday

PostPosted: Thu 16 Aug 2018 09:39 PM 
Prospective Member

Thank you, and it's great to hear there is some hope for the guitar. The guitar is a six string, my post was a little confusing. I was assuming the offset design of the saddle failed on the High e due to it having no support from a theoretical 7th string. The bridge is recessed into the body and does have tall saddles. Hopefully shimming offset Fender saddles can get her playing until a genuine replacement pops up.

It appears to be a 1980 YS400. Definitely worth bringing back to life.

PostPosted: Fri 17 Aug 2018 11:52 AM 
Virtuoso

Yes, that bridge was used on several models and sometimes they show up on auction sites. We've toyed with the idea of getting replacements made but the cost has always been the deciding factor against.
The shim/fender saddles would be quick, cheap and easy. It's also easily reversible should originals show up.

Quality service since 3:00 last Tuesday