The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Fri 29 Mar 2024 05:27 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Original CS-350 Pups?
PostPosted: Wed 05 Jan 2022 04:40 PM 
Prospective Member

Noob here, so please be kind... LOL
As I understand it, the CS pups were "DiMarzio Designed?" or DiMarzio clones? I just got a CS-350 that has a pair of EMGs in it with pull boost pots. I'm thinking of pulling that setup and going back to the "original" zebra buckers so I can wire back the coil and phase toggles. This is such a sick guitar so I can't imagine why someone would want to put these very nice but not proper EMGs in it.
Those EMGs sound cool AF, tho, so don't get me wrong. It's almost like having an onboard compressor or something... BUT you don't get the coil tap or phase switching like the stock version. These are active pups so I don't know if phasing or coil tapping will work, since I'm just a drummer and have no business holding such a fine guitar!!! LOL

PostPosted: Thu 06 Jan 2022 08:35 AM 
Virtuoso

Some Aria Pro II guitars did come with DiMarzio pickups but usually only high end models. The CS-350 was loaded with Protomatic V MMK-45 pickups which are very hard to find and due to the hype often far more expensive than they should be. That being said they were great sounding pickups.

Just about any pickups with 5 conductors (4 coil leads and ground/shield) will work. Once of our members, DerOnkel mapped out the wiring diagrams for Cardinal series and can be found at the following URL:

http://www.matsumoku.org/cm_models/2021 ... iagrams-2/

PostPosted: Fri 07 Jan 2022 11:43 AM 
Virtuoso

The MMK45's are often compared with the DiMarzio Super Distortions of the day, very gutsy and versatile with a resistance reading typically in the 11-14+ K range (they are ceramics).

As Crusty says they are stupidly over priced now, assuming you can find them for sale at all. Unfortunately, despite being well designed they do have a tendency to "rot" and it's not unusual to suddenly find one of the coils has failed because of a connection break deep inside the windings. Not normally an easy fix and requires rewinding.

If you can find the 45's at a reasonable price, great! Otherwise there are many comparable and solid alternatives out there. Anything but EMGs!! :barf:

PostPosted: Fri 07 Jan 2022 01:48 PM 
Virtuoso

I found the MMK-45s to be less bright than the DiMarzio Super Distortions of the time. More bottom end and a bit smoother. I was never a fan of the DiMarzio Super Distortions. I used to call it the "trash can crash" because the attack reminded me of the sound a trash can makes when you drop it on the ground. :rofl:

As Barry mentioned, you'd be hard pressed to find MMK-45s both at a reasonable price as well as in good condition. My two CS-350s still had the original MMK-45 bridge pickup in the neck position and still worked fine but they have been in a controlled environment the entire time. They were not dipped from the factory but I have always dipped my pickups if they weren't already so this may have contributed to their longevity.

GFS makes some nice vintage output pickups that would work nicely. I've used them a number of times.

PostPosted: Fri 07 Jan 2022 03:41 PM 
Virtuoso

I'll second the GFS pups.
I've used them a lot, Crunchy Pats, Fat Pats, and Mean 90s.
No issues at all. :up:

PostPosted: Sat 08 Jan 2022 02:44 PM 
Prospective Member

Thanks to all of you for the input! Actually, I did stumble upon the schematics and photos for wiring these pups. Talk about a gold mine! I'm okay with the EMGs, but I'd rather go back as "stock" as I can. When I got out of the military I bought a CS-250 new in '82 and as much of a tard (drummer) I am, I liked it a lot. My Kurt Cobain (LMAO) model was gifted to me around Christmas and it was like a homecoming of sorts. I'm "watching" several pups on evil bay right now but I must confess my ignorance and beg you experts for assistance. Probably wont' go with DiMz Super though. A tad milder will be perfect. Suggestions?
Crusty said to make sure I have 5 conductors (leads?) but virtually everything I see on evil bay just has one wire coming from the bottom. Last Summer, built (first timer) a partscaster Nashville T for a friend and all the tricks were done at the control panel anyway, so... I saved the diagram for the 350 on my computer for quick reference. Time to review before buying pups, I guess.
Thanks again!

PostPosted: Sat 08 Jan 2022 10:48 PM 
Virtuoso

EricStJohn wrote:
Crusty said to make sure I have 5 conductors (leads?) but virtually everything I see on evil bay just has one wire coming from the bottom...

Assuming that you are looking at a humbucker and not a single coil pickup, I think you'll find that what appears to be a "single" wire is actually a sheath/conduit which contains all the connection wires: 4 coloured ones for the signal chain and one for the ground wire. It just keeps everything neat and tidy :wink:
Have a look at the diagram at GuitarFetish, select:Standard Solder (5 Leads): https://www.guitarfetish.com/LP-Standard_c_815.html

PostPosted: Sat 08 Jan 2022 11:58 PM 
Virtuoso

Most modern humbuckers such as DiMarzio and Duncan have the four leads and ground. You'll need these to wire up the coil cut and phase switches on the CS-350.

PostPosted: Sun 09 Jan 2022 09:06 AM 
Virtuoso

I'm not the biggest fan of GFS pickups. I tried a set of rail pickups and it wasn't for me. I removed them again and replaced with Seymour Duncan rails and was happy.
However, on a CS-350 a set of DiMarzio pickups could be the ticket. I wouldn't use SDs, but had good experience with a PAF-Pro set.

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jan 2022 05:22 AM 
Virtuoso

I’ve used Toneriders, Kent Armstrong and GFS pickups in builds and like ‘em lots! I’ve also used SDs, DiMarzios and Bareknuckles and really, cannot justify the excessive spend on ‘name’ pickups… YMMV, of course!

The GFS lipsticks I nailed into my last build - a Vantage Avenger AV 325 - are just amazing; a real Danelectro feel to them!! Loads of sparkle…