The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Mon 29 Apr 2024 11:56 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: cs series trem?
PostPosted: Sat 16 Sep 2006 07:30 AM 
Hello all.
I'm about to aquire a beat up old cs250 as a bit of a project. I'd like to fit a trem to this guitar but am not sure because of the weird bridge/string through body combination on the cardinals. I'm not exactly a master luthier so would appreciate some help and advice regarding the type of trem system I should buy and how best to fit it. (not really interested in a locking system, I LIKE my guitars to go out of tune halfway through a song !)
Regards,
LC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 16 Sep 2006 09:36 AM 
Virtuoso

LC, my friend, you are twisted. :lol: The only trem I've installed was a Kahler (locking). I picked it because it didn't seem as cumbersome as the typical strat type trem (locking or not) and there was very little wood removal. In fact, I have since removed the trem, filled in the hole and reinstalled the original non-trem bridge. I'd offer it to you but I gave it away long ago. . .

Jorg :-?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 16 Sep 2006 05:21 PM 
:wink:
Oh I'm twisted alright! No, theres a genuine reason I dont care for locking systems. Far,far too much messing about to tune up and In my opinion makes setting a guitar up a nightmare. My favourite trem system was on a usa strat I used for a while, wilkinson roller nut thingy I think. Think that might be a suitable solution for a cs? I'm getting the guitar for next to nothing but still wouldn't like to butcher the playability and waste my money by fitting something unsuitable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 16 Sep 2006 11:18 PM 
Virtuoso

I have a strat with the Wilkinson roller nut and locking tuners but I never use the trem. It works ok but I get all vibrato from my hand. (20 years ago I used a locking trem all the time but I'm strictly a Blues man now)
My only problem retrofitting a strat style trem is the amount of wood you have to remove. I really like the roller nut and locking tuners though. I can bend and shake all I want without tuning problems. I thought about putting a similar setup on my "like new" PE-R60 but decided against it.
What about a Bigsby style? No routing, just a few screws.
The Kahler I had was a breeze to setup and tune. I removed the pickguard and could put the arm down into the body 1/2 in. It came back in perfect tune every time. Once you stretch the strings and lock them down, the fine tuners on the bridge will handle any issues that come up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 18 Sep 2006 10:30 PM 
Thanks for all that, sadly someone outbid me on the guitar with 33 seconds to go. :x :evil: I like the idea of a trem equipped cs though and will look for another.
Regards,
LC