The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Mon 29 Apr 2024 12:33 PM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 03 May 2008 02:45 PM 
Virtuoso

RSBBass wrote:
... I have what I think is a Vp795 except the body is solid mahogany. Everything else matches.

Got pics of that one, RSBBass? I'm curious ...

K9.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 04 May 2008 05:38 AM 
Virtuoso

K9,
I am guessing yours is an earlier 1977 model and not 1987. Perhaps the ceramic pickups came out on the 80's VP-700's and your 70's model VP-??? has alnicos.

Have a look at this thread:
http://www.matsumoku.org/ggboard/viewtopic.php?t=573
He has very similar sounding VP but his has 24 frets?

Is your mini switch a phase switch like the other thread or does it split coils?

I personally think your guitar has the best combination of pickups on any Mat guitar with the hotter 11.8K alnico MMK53 in bridge and a 8.4K alnico MMK61 in neck position.

Do you know what the dc resistance is of each pickup?

Cheers
PeteRH

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 04 May 2008 04:50 PM 
Virtuoso

Thanks Pete!
New, better pics and reply to your posting in 'Vantage Department':
http://www.matsumoku.org/ggboard/viewto ... highlight=
(since we're not just looking at the pups ... :) )

PostPosted: Mon 05 May 2008 06:56 AM 
Virtuoso

PeteRH wrote:
Any info on Classic power 3's, AL-5's, Proto 7's appreciated.

Are you still looking for this info? My PE-Deluxe-KV is supposed to have Classic Power 3s. In reality it came with MMK 53s (well, it came with one. The previous owner switched the bridge pu for an active EMG jobbie and I'm still a bit grumpy about that). I measured it to 11.4k which is close enough to your earlier findings. How can I confirm what sort of magnets it's got?

PostPosted: Mon 05 May 2008 07:27 PM 
Virtuoso

SalemB wrote:
My PE-Deluxe-KV is supposed to have Classic Power 3s. In reality it came with MMK 53s

Does your Deluxe have dot inlays or block inlays? So far all the Deluxe with block inlays that I've seen came with Gotoh pickups... the Aria catalog called those Classic Power 3s anyway... while the one with dot inlays that I took a look at had MMK stamped pickups (don't recall the number), that were called "Smooth Crash" in the catalog.

PostPosted: Mon 05 May 2008 09:57 PM 
Virtuoso

SalemB wrote:
PeteRH wrote:

Are you still looking for this info?

Always looking for data/info on pickups. It is always appreciated.
Quote:
My PE-Deluxe-KV is supposed to have Classic Power 3s. In reality it came with MMK 53s (well, it came with one. The previous owner switched the bridge pu for an active EMG jobbie and I'm still a bit grumpy about that). I measured it to 11.4k which is close enough to your earlier findings. How can I confirm what sort of magnets it's got?

The reading is done by placing the probes on the magnet about 6mm (1/4") apart. Hopefully one end of the central bar magnet (located between the bobbins and the base plate) is exposed. If it is covered with tape suggest you leave it as-is. Although the likelihood is slim, i dont want anyone stuffing a pickup by moving tape around and upsetting a pickup winding.

I checked some pickups the other night. The alnico ones had a resistance of just a few ohms. The reading is almost the same as touching the probes together.

The ceramics do not get any reading whatsoever. It is almost like they are pure insulators....almost like holding the probes in the air or placing on a piece of plastic.

Cheers
Pete

PostPosted: Wed 07 May 2008 04:49 AM 
Virtuoso

PeteRH wrote:
SalemB wrote:
PeteRH wrote:
Quote:

The reading is done by placing the probes on the magnet about 6mm (1/4") apart. Hopefully one end of the central bar magnet (located between the bobbins and the base plate) is exposed. If it is covered with tape suggest you leave it as-is. Although the likelihood is slim, i dont want anyone stuffing a pickup by moving tape around and upsetting a pickup winding.

I checked some pickups the other night. The alnico ones had a resistance of just a few ohms. The reading is almost the same as touching the probes together.

The ceramics do not get any reading whatsoever. It is almost like they are pure insulators....almost like holding the probes in the air or placing on a piece of plastic.

This is a photo of a Gibson pickup showing the location of the magnet and where to place the probes. The MMK's are basically the same but the magnet ends are sometimes covered by some tape.

PostPosted: Wed 28 Jan 2009 06:11 AM 
Virtuoso

Good news are coming up! Within the next days I expect a Protomatic IV out of a CS-250. It is also marked as MMK45.

I will check the electrical data and report the results asap.

Ulf

PostPosted: Wed 28 Jan 2009 11:30 AM 
Virtuoso

Location: Grand Absurdity, VA, temporary refuge of the Hollywood Avenger
Thanks! :up:

Check my "aftermarket pickups" thread, I'll be measuring some of my MMKs (in place with pots & switches in line) & posting them there for comparison. I'll also cross-post data here.

je

1981 AV-320
1981 AV-320
1981 AV-325
1982 AV-320
1982 VS-695-12
1982 VSH-445
1983 AV-330
1995 VST 33 CE TBK

PostPosted: Wed 28 Jan 2009 11:33 AM 
Virtuoso

It would be better to keep this thread Matsumoku only. Post the comparisons in the other thread to keep the linearity of your original thread.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next