The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Tue 14 May 2024 06:27 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Lefty loosey?
PostPosted: Sun 16 May 2010 11:27 AM 
Virtuoso

Normally, we try to find ways to keep knobs from coming off but I'm in need of the opposite. :o
My '86 Cat has the tele style knobs. With her being a lefty, the controls aren't exactly suited to right handed playing.
I'm toying with the idea of making a new pickguard and relocating everything slightly. I have the volume knob off but the tone (with pull switch) does NOT want to budge. I see no restraint so, any tricks to loosen its grip without damage?

Post subject: Re: Lefty loosey?
PostPosted: Mon 17 May 2010 03:18 AM 
Virtuoso

It's a push on type, right? Have you tried the 2 spoons approach? A spoon on either side of the knob, the leading edge of each spoon under the knob opposite each other and gently apply some pressure to the handles; I've moved some god-awful tight knobs thusly with no damage to the guitar, or the knobs/spindles...
Don't forget to put a cloth under the bowl of the spoon atop the body surface...

PostPosted: Mon 17 May 2010 08:05 AM 
Virtuoso

Yeah, spoons sound like the least invasive way to go...probably a little metal to metal reaction/corrosion going on. John didn't specify what type of spoon though. Don't think you'd want to use yer average teaspoon :P
If all else fails there's always the 'ole adjustable wrench in a cloth, and an almighty PULL!

PostPosted: Mon 17 May 2010 09:39 AM 
Virtuoso

I'll give it a shot but the pickguard flexes a LOT. I've pretty well decided I'm making a new one so thats not a BIG deal but I really don't want to destroy the pot. The knobs are the least of my worries, hate 'em. It's not like this guitar will ever have any resale value but I'd like the option to restore to original.
I just bought some material to make the new pickguard. Kinda getting excited. . . :D

PostPosted: Mon 17 May 2010 09:44 AM 
Virtuoso

True, I didn't specify what sort of spoon; I usually raid the wifes' cutlery canteen for a couple of well-made, Sheffield dessert spoons!!

Happy now, Barry?! :P :D

Yeah, Jorg - I know how ya feel; I don't like to break things if I can possibly avoid it... but sometimes :x :D

The spoons put equal pressure on the 4 points of contact so if you can get the scratchplate off and support it underneath the contact points somehow, you'd be quids in!!

PostPosted: Mon 17 May 2010 09:47 AM 
Virtuoso

They may be fine splined knobs on a course splined shaft. If so they must have been realy forced on. StewMac makes a tool for removing them but if you don't care about the pups or gaurd I would just go with pliers. The pot shaft is likely toast from having the wrong size knob on it. Good luck.

PostPosted: Mon 17 May 2010 12:07 PM 
Virtuoso

She looks to be completely factory (2nd gen RS) so I figured someone here may have run into this before.
The volume pot is straight forward split shaft. I just thought about taking the knob off, looked down and it was laying beside the guitar. :rofl:
The tone pot has a pull switch and looks to have a smaller diameter shaft. Possibly the knob is glued on?
I'm gonna transplant everything that survives from the original guard to the replacement.
Initially, I wasn't thrilled with the bridge pickup. I've learned it knows nothing but wide open throttle (WOT). And knows it well. :jammin:
I don't play a lot of that style but I now have a guitar that will should the need arise.
Oh well, let's see what I can tear up. . . :cheers:

PostPosted: Mon 17 May 2010 01:38 PM 
Virtuoso

If you think its glue and it has a metal know, try heating it with a soldering iron. That should loosen just about any glue joint that would be used on metal.

PostPosted: Mon 17 May 2010 02:51 PM 
Virtuoso

RSBBass wrote:
If you think its glue and it has a metal know, try heating it with a soldering iron. That should loosen just about any glue joint that would be used on metal.

What he said. :up:
Or, you know, yank it like a monkey in a mango tree!