The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Fri 29 Mar 2024 01:13 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: ACT tremolo
PostPosted: Sun 16 Oct 2011 05:45 PM 
Power Chorder

I'm after an ACT 3 or ACT 5 tremolo, or decent pics of one to see if i can use it or not!

Basically, I have an 84 ZZ custom, but with the not-so-good ACT 2 tremolo.. I tried swapping it out for a Floydy (a Takeuchi :wink: ) but the saddle position means the intonation is WAY out, are the ACT 3/5 trems interchangeable with the ACT 2?

Any help is massively appreciated :D

Post subject: Re: ACT tremolo
PostPosted: Fri 21 Oct 2011 02:56 AM 
Virtuoso

Greetings, Harris. Welcome to the boards.

If the Takeuchi fits the posts & the string spacing is right, there's no need to buy another trem. You can adjust the intonation on a Floyd. Try an Internet search for "Floyd Rose intonation tool". "The Key" is the best known, but Ibanez makes a tool for their "Edge Zero" licensed Floyds that might work. Adjustment is possible without the tool (& not as difficult as you might think). Several people have also posted "how-to" tutorials on YouTube.

PostPosted: Sun 23 Oct 2011 08:09 AM 
Power Chorder

I know how to adjust intonation, my problem is simply that the saddles cannot move any more forward, and the intonation is still wrong!!!

the saddles sit quite far behind the fulcrum point on a floyd style, whereas on my ACT 2 trem the saddles are almost level with the posts, where the cutouts are further back into the tremolo... a bit annoying because my act 2 has parts missing, adn i'd really like to have fine tuners :P

PostPosted: Tue 24 Feb 2015 10:54 AM 
Power Chorder

Hi

Just have a look on my next topics about your ACT 5 (it's the one I 've got on my ARIA RS SPIRIT)
but for your affirmation about the tremolo ACT 5 which sounds false, the saddles are adjustable !!!!
and more you have fine tuning on the saddles to retune !!!!!!!!

I don't agree with you cose my ACT 5 you can find a picture if you search ACT 5 on this excellent website.
This tremolo has a particular thing, the same as every tremolo you want to tune, and you always says it
sounds ...anything .... people do always do the same mistakes.

1) I put a piece of wood or anything in the back to let the tremolo parralel with the table
2) I unscrew the locks on the nut
3) I take off the strings (change them once by month at least)
4) I put the new strings and pull a little bit to help strings at the beginning
5) I put the tuning screws at about zero !!!!!
6) Turn the mechanics
7)) Is the tune the same at the neck than EADGBE at the twelve fret with octavados and by fretting on the fretboard - verify with electronic tuner
if it's not correct , verify the length of the saddle, just move and re-verify until it's correct !!!! if the strings are NEW !!!!!!!! only in this case
if it's not the case, CHANGE ALL THE STRINGS, second thing verify the nut cose with all TREMOLOS, nuts in bone or plastic, the strings cut all the
places they rub !!!! verify if one string is not too high ot too low, if it's too low , buy another one, or put some glue and after take a tool to adjust height.
Never forget that if you change the type of nut, you can alter the original sound on your guitar, so take advise with a professional before doing anything wrong.

8) take off the small piece of wood to verify the tension an the tune !!!!! tune if it needs to, if it doesn't , just have a look in the back
turn the screw on the right if the tune is too low, and on the left if the tune is too high, the tremolo position must keep parallel with the table !!!

9) if it's ok, re-lock the strings on the nut after the tune is all right

remark : I need also a fine tuninng of one saddle for this tremolo