The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Thu 25 Apr 2024 02:27 PM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
PostPosted: Wed 05 Aug 2009 03:37 AM 
Virtuoso

Let's jump aboard on this topic... this guitar is a '78 Falcon (which means it's a pretty early one) and the bridge is defenitely original. I'm not sure if that also goes for the plastic square thingy around the jack-input, and it could be that some early Falcons didn't have the electrics mounted on a PCB but a lot of Wings on the market these days are modded electronically. Can't say anything on the manufacturer and agree with Racing.. Yamaki was involved with the Wings and so was Matsumoku (certainly in a later era) but there were probably more manufacturers involved in the Wings production.

Pretty guitar tough and i hope you'll be able to set it up the way you like it.. and rock the hell out of this machine!

H.

(www.g3h.be/wings)

PostPosted: Wed 05 Aug 2009 12:23 PM 
Gallery Friend

G3H wrote:
Let's jump aboard on this topic... this guitar is a '78 Falcon (which means it's a pretty early one) and the bridge is defenitely original. I'm not sure if that also goes for the plastic square thingy around the jack-input, and it could be that some early Falcons didn't have the electrics mounted on a PCB but a lot of Wings on the market these days are modded electronically. Can't say anything on the manufacturer and agree with Racing.. Yamaki was involved with the Wings and so was Matsumoku (certainly in a later era) but there were probably more manufacturers involved in the Wings production.

Pretty guitar tough and i hope you'll be able to set it up the way you like it.. and rock the hell out of this machine!

H.

(http://www.g3h.be/wings)

:up: thanks!

So you're thinking '78 based on the S/N, or something else? Because if those pots are from '82.... but maybe Japanese pots aren't numbered the same way as US pots, so trying to get a year from the stamp on the pots is a bad idea. It's also possible that it's been rewired; I didn't look too carefully at the solder joints or anything but they looked original, and pretty tidy, at a glance. Still, rewiring might explain the lack of PCB and the foil lining?

The plastic square actually *does* look kind of "factory made" but it's almost certainly a repair. The wood around the jack is all messed up -- seems like a clever fix after somebody pushed the jack in.

BTW, I'm happy to contribute some pics for your (great) Wings page, if you want 'em...

scott

PostPosted: Thu 06 Aug 2009 07:21 PM 
Virtuoso

Hello Scott,

'78 is based on both the serial nr and some cosmetic features. The position of the jack-input (moved to the side of the guitar on later models), the shape of the area where the neck meets the body, the bridge, the shape of the electronics cover and the dot inlays (became brass "donuts" later on) are the most visible clues it's an early model. I actually never payed attention to pot numbers so far and have no clue if it's rewired or not. Haven't seen much old Falcons in this coulour scheme.

Thanks for offering pics of this one and i'm interested on having it on the Wings site.. was already happy to see the detailed pics here after only seeing some blurry ones of this guitar on an auction site.

Hans

Off topic: Visited SF last january.. that city stole my heart!

PostPosted: Thu 06 Aug 2009 07:28 PM 
Gallery Friend

G3H wrote:
Hello Scott,

'78 is based on both the serial nr and some cosmetic features. The position of the jack-input (moved to the side of the guitar on later models), the shape of the area where the neck meets the body, the bridge, the shape of the electronics cover and the dot inlays (became brass "donuts" later on) are the most visible clues it's an early model. I actually never payed attention to pot numbers so far and have no clue if it's rewired or not. Haven't seen much old Falcons in this coulour scheme.

Thanks for offering pics of this one and i'm interested on having it on the Wings site.. was already happy to see the detailed pics here after only seeing some blurry ones of this guitar on an auction site.

Hans

Off topic: Visited SF last january.. that city stole my heart!

I figured a few people here would have seen that auction. :D I paid a bit less than they were asking, but arguably a bit too much given the condition. So it goes, I'm looking forward to getting this thing playable and using it. I also need to find a case, but this guitar fits nicely into my Les Paul case so it won't be too hard to find something.

The brass inlays are my only regret! I love that detail and wish this guitar had them.

As for pics, let me know what you need off-forum, and I'm happy to provide.

(SF: I loved it the first time I visited and still can't believe I live here. It's pretty amazing.)