The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Sat 18 May 2024 09:46 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Force3
PostPosted: Fri 29 Jun 2012 07:53 PM 
Virtuoso

Picked this up recently.
Great Strat, Really excellent, Very high quality build,
Floating Trem, great sustain, Phase switch gives a bit more tone flexibility than a conventional strat config.
Upper fret access is just a breeze.
Very low action, just faultless.
She's near mint with OHSC, currently just missing the switch knob.
Trevs tip of the day :up: , "if you find one for sale buy it"

Found a youtube vid of a guy playing an identical Force3 here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b5rvVqDlVo
Gives you a bit of an idea.
Cheers.

Post subject: Re: Force3
PostPosted: Sat 30 Jun 2012 06:19 PM 
Virtuoso

I'm not a big Strat fan, but this looks good, and I like what I 'm hearing in the video.
Great grab Trev!

PostPosted: Sat 30 Jun 2012 10:38 PM 
Virtuoso

That looks very nicer. I like the bridge.

PostPosted: Mon 02 Jul 2012 05:32 AM 
Virtuoso

Yeah the bridge is very well built, I had a Washburn FV-10v that had the same 2 point bridge, I always really liked it.
Here's a comparison, Aria Pro2 Act Ex on the left, Washy on the Right.
As you can see the sustain block is Massive.
Every part of it is Chunky, quality bit of gear.

PostPosted: Mon 02 Jul 2012 09:43 AM 
Virtuoso

Wow! That's a significant difference.
And with a 2-point pivot post design you stand a better chance of keeping things in tune than one of those awful "classic" Strat 6-screw crazy-ass designs.

PostPosted: Fri 03 Aug 2012 11:13 AM 
Power Chorder

Congratulations Trevor. This is a beauty.

I visited your site and was blown away by the guitars and, especially, all the information you have gathered about the various brands. Since you know a lot about Washburns I am hoping you can help me with some questions I posted recently about my Washburn SBF-26N (viewtopic.php?f=29&t=8971).

As indicated in that post, I thought it might be made by Yairi but after looking at some of the stuff on your site I also see some resemblance to the Yamaki acoustics (such as the V-shaped bump at the junction of the neck and headstock). Any ideas?

I don't claim to be an expert but the bridge on your new Force 3 looks like classic Yamaki-Daion, which is to say very high quality indeed - comparable and sometimes even better than our beloved Uncle Mat. Although I have often heard that some 80's Washburns were made by Mat, I have yet to see one. Have you ever seen one?

I am sorry to bombard you with questions like this but these things intrigue me.

PostPosted: Sat 04 Aug 2012 08:04 AM 
Virtuoso

Hi, Unfortunately I have had little to do with Washburn Acoustics, sorry I cant help identify the maker of your guitar.
On the Washburn Mat connection though I do have some experience.
I have owned 7 early 80's Washburn solid bodys & still own 4.
2 Falcons, 2 Ravens, an FV-10v, A Force 8 Bass & The Force 3 seen here.
When I acquire my Guitars I strip them down completely, so, I am quite familiar with the Mat electronics & construction techniques.
I am also a Carpenter & have been making & restoring things my entire life.
Yes, the Washburn Mat connection is assumed by most as a Given.
It is generally assumed by most that Mat made some of The Wing series of Guitars + others.
In my opinion, None of my Washburns were made by Matsumoku.
Both my Falcons are Yamaki, I am positive of that.
The Force 3 & the Force 8 I believe are Yamaki build also.
My 2 Ravens imo were built in different factorys to each other & the FV-10-v was built at the same factory as one of the Ravens.
Not Yamaki & Not Matsumoku.
If Matsumoku did indeed build Guitars for Washburn, which may be the case, unfortunately I am yet to get hold of one.
This is only my opinion, of my Guitars, you must understand.

PostPosted: Sun 05 Aug 2012 12:09 PM 
Virtuoso

Yes, over time, I believe the Washburn/Matsumoku connection has been overstated too.

The 'carved top' neck thru Wings were Yamaki. The Mat versions, I am assuming, are the slab top, set neck versions, designated as SB in the catalogs (1982-84). Neck thru 'Stage' series like the A20 appear to be Yamaki builds, while the bolt on A5 'could be' Mats. Not sure.

I possess a 1984 Force 8 BBR bass that I believe to be Yamaki. Ditto a (neck-thru) 1983 Force 40EQ.

My 1981 ivory Eagle is definitely from Yamaki, and finally, I had a Force 3 (black on black) which I also believe to be Yamaki.

The Force guitars are highly underrated for the money.

Always welcome any insights into this Washy/Mat discussion. I find it intriguing.
cheers

PostPosted: Mon 06 Aug 2012 03:44 PM 
Power Chorder

Thanks Trevor and Squawk for the information (BTW Squawk, I am just up the road in Edmonton).

My first Washburn was the SBF 26-N, which is so unusual that there was nothing to indicate that it was or wasn't made by Uncle Mat. Then I got an Eagle R and when I tore it down (as Trevor does) it was clearly different from anything I knew to be Mat. Later I learned about Yamaki and am now the proud owner of a neck-through A20 and a BBR A20V (which seems like a set-neck). The Eagle didn't suit me because I play sitting down and it wouldn't balance on my leg due to way the body is cut, so I gave it to a friend (who owes me big time).

As noted elsewhere in the forums, My A20 has a pronounced V-shaped thick neck, while the BBR's neck is much slimmer neck. Both necks are narrower than the typical Uncle Mat necks.

Do you know who made pickups for Yamaki? The ones in my A20 have no markings except "506111" stamped in ink. As I recall they are similar to what was in the Eagle. The BBR's are different but I haven't pulled them recently and don't recall what is marked on the back. They have black plastic covers with "Washburn" on the front.

I have only seen pictures of Daion electrics but it seems like the Power Mark XX may have been Yamaki's high water mark (with the 9-piece neck, etc.). You guys ever lay hands on one?

Cheers.

PostPosted: Mon 06 Aug 2012 08:14 PM 
Virtuoso

Quote:
I am just up the road in Edmonton

Home of the Oilers! Huge fan myself.

Your comments with regards to the Eagle are spot on, Earthspin. Far and away the best sounding guitar that I have ever had.... but a pain in the a** to play sitting down.
It always wants to tip back and roll off my leg, the exact opposite of neck heavy. And yes, the profile of the body leaves about 2.5 inches of clearance for strumming and picking, when sitting down.

Post a picture of your BBR A20V, if possible. Would love to have a look.

A few Daions have surfaced on this forum - there was a Power Mark XX sitting at Cash Converters here in Calgary for almost a year with a price tag of $1200. Stunning looking construction.

I am assuming your A20 has three screws for pickup height adjustment(?) How 'bout the BBR?

cheers!