The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Fri 29 Mar 2024 06:16 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 6 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat 18 May 2019 01:09 PM 
Virtuoso

The ones with the Varitone control!

I've seen conflicting info about this model with some mentioning that they were produced as earl as 1984, continuing thru '93 or thereabouts. This indicates that some were produced in Japan and the rest in Korea, but I have not found the model on the site.

I will be picking up one of these at the end of the month (have to travel about 350 Kilometers round-trip as the seller prefers not to ship). The Axe in in "like new shape" and the seller is throwing in a case with the deal. The serial # begins with 91, so it is most likely Korean. It has a set neck and the "almost" open book head-stock (like my ES500).

Any further info about this model would be appreciated.

On a side note...
I have tried to contact the site admin for some time about some models where info is requested, without any luck.. I have photos of at least two guitars where the site has NO info. What gives?

Pete

Attachments:
$_57.JPG
$_57.JPG [ 68.91 KiB | Viewed 1076 times ]
2019-05-18 Aria Pro 2 TA61 Halbakustik Gitarre.jpg [51.52 KiB]
Downloaded 98 times

Uncle Mats ES-500, RS Wildcat, RSB Deluxe, FS-750, Magna MA 30 (non-Mat), TA-61 non-Mat), a Westone limited run/proto Thunder and an OAKLAND (Westone) XI100.

Pete
PostPosted: Tue 21 May 2019 07:28 AM 
Virtuoso

"Made in Korea" and "early nineties" is both correct. Actually you will see the same hardware on Korean made Epiphone guitars from that time as well.

PostPosted: Sun 02 Jun 2019 02:50 PM 
Virtuoso

Pretty much my impression :( .

I picked up the axe yesterday and was nonetheless impressed! It's in like-new condition and was able to try it on a mini Marshal stack (!)- everything works and the gold plating is in very good condition! The only thing "wrong" is that the PU covers are missing - have to see if I can find replacements. No center block, in need of new strings - at which time I'll look at the PU's - and a lower action (3mm at the 12th!). Existing stringing is mixed with 9 at the high "E" and 50 at the low.

Doing a bit of research, I found that this model was in production from 1984 thru 2004. Whether the pre-87 dating is correct or not...? Also, the serial number on photos nearly all show the "S" prefix or a "made in Korea" sticker on the head stock back. The guy I bought it from said there was a sticker there, but does not remember what it said - he'll have to ask his father.

Uncle Mats ES-500, RS Wildcat, RSB Deluxe, FS-750, Magna MA 30 (non-Mat), TA-61 non-Mat), a Westone limited run/proto Thunder and an OAKLAND (Westone) XI100.

Pete

PostPosted: Sun 02 Jun 2019 04:46 PM 
Virtuoso

It's not Mats, but there's nothing wrong at all with that MIK TA! :love:

I have a '96 TA-60 (bolt on) and it's a delight to play. Nice catch. Enjoy it!

PostPosted: Sun 02 Jun 2019 05:26 PM 
Virtuoso

Definitely nothing wrong with it, Barry :split: ! I cleaned it up a bit, but didn't change anything (yet), then plugged it into my Crate BX-25 (bass amp) rather than my Backstage Plus for the mellower sound (my other amp is WAAAY too much for in-house. Like it as much as my ES 500 :hyper: !

Pete

PostPosted: Sat 08 Jun 2019 12:15 PM 
Virtuoso

I misjudged the action height... it was 4mm :yipes: ! I simply can't fathom why some people have to screw around with the string height to get it as high as possible (was the same issue with my ES-500). Naturally the intonation was WAY off. Dropping the action down to 1.5 and 2mm got the intonation spot-on and a shot of contact cleaner to the output jack cured a bad contact.

Lots of tonal difference between the varitone settings, but pos. 6 seems to have a problem. I'll have to try to get some contact cleaner in there. The axe is considerably smaller than the ES, making it a bit more comfortable to play and weighs 3 Kg (6 lb) - the ES is 3.4 Kg (7.5 lb).

Pete