The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Thu 18 Apr 2024 02:24 PM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: MIK Vantage VIE-10
PostPosted: Thu 22 Jul 2021 01:32 PM 
Virtuoso

A light re-crown is not a big deal as long as the divots aren't deep. As long as the neck is stable.

Is the truss adjustment in the headstock or at the butt of the neck? The body I have it is on the headstock, no spot for it at the top of the pickguard.

I've had people bring me guitars that the frets had permanent deep chord divots. You could tell what chords they liked. Major re-crown there not to mention complete level. Those were a LOT of work!

The major issue with the current neck is the wood is too light and flexible. Think early 60's Japanese hollow body necks. Absolutely horrid. Changes in truss tension on this neck has it twisting.

PostPosted: Thu 22 Jul 2021 05:21 PM 
Virtuoso

I'm pretty sure a fret job will fix it, I just never saw myself using the neck or at least anytime soon.
The truss rod adjustment is at the heel.
It has a baseball bat feel to it.

Quality service since 3:00 last Tuesday

PostPosted: Thu 22 Jul 2021 05:47 PM 
Virtuoso

This guitar doesn't have the cutout on the pickguard and is not routed for the truss rod adjustment on the heel. Once on I won't be able to adjust the relief if it needs changing. I wouldn't be able to use it.

Many many thanks though!

PostPosted: Fri 30 Jul 2021 11:30 AM 
Virtuoso

Many thanks to Jorg for the new neck. It looks like the 22 fret neck will work nicely. It is thinner than the Squire neck. I still have to shave the part of the pickguard that is overhanging the neck pocket. lousy engineering if you ask me. Should fit like a glove when I am done.

Even though I am using the other neck I still think I should get a headstock decal that says Squantage.

PostPosted: Fri 30 Jul 2021 11:38 AM 
Virtuoso

:rofl:

PostPosted: Fri 30 Jul 2021 06:20 PM 
Virtuoso

:rofl:

PostPosted: Sun 01 Aug 2021 02:23 PM 
Virtuoso

The Franken Caster is all back together and set up. The action is a LOT better with the new neck. Bone nut installed and slotted pretty much to specs. The locking tuners bolted right in. I did have to clean up the neck pocket. Blobs of finish put the neck at the wrong pitch but once cleaned up it sits as it should. For $30 the Wilkinson pickups were well worth it. It does a great Trower and I can get some pretty nice classic tones with a little gain.

I would like the action a little closer but let's face it, it's not a PE-R80 or CS-350 with a 3-piece neck. I did notice with the original and the two new necks that the relief doesn't actually start until about the 5th fret. A spot level was necessary on the 1st through 7th frets. More so on the bass side.

Thanks to Jorg it didn't end up in the waste bin of woes. :D

PostPosted: Mon 02 Aug 2021 08:47 AM 
Virtuoso

NOT THE WASTE BIN OF WOES!?!? :shudder: :-D

Have you thought about using a degreed shim from Stewmac to get the action lower?
https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tools-a ... for-guitar
They're a tad pricey but I'm considering putting one in my RS Special V. It's not bad but I think it could be better.
It also sports Wilkinson pickups btw.

PostPosted: Mon 02 Aug 2021 09:02 AM 
Virtuoso

It's not the pitch of the neck that is the issue. The pitch is good. When I add relief to the neck the relief doesn't start until about the 5th fret. The first 4 or 5 frets are perfectly straight and back regardless of the relief. I'm having to adjust the saddle height going on fret buzz at the first 5 frets. I haven't tried the Squire neck yet. No biggie. I have lots of time to toy around and strings are pretty cheap. :D Besides, I like tinkering anyway. Thanks to you I have options to explore. :up: I just tested the Squire neck and adding tension resulted in even back bow from the nut to the 21st fret. I will probably switch the necks out today just for giggles.

The action is tons better with the new neck. That old neck wasn't worth firewood. It is hanging on the wall as an example of what NOT to do. It plays 110% better than it did!

Yeah, I'm really liking the Wilkinson Hot pickups.

PostPosted: Mon 02 Aug 2021 10:27 AM 
Virtuoso

I decided to go ahead and swap in the Squire neck. Huge difference. The relief is the right shape. The curve goes from about the 1st fret to about the 18th fret. I have it set to .014" which is a little high but it is much better than it was. The Squantage lives.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next