The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Thu 28 Mar 2024 03:54 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: MIK Vantage VIE-10
PostPosted: Tue 13 Jul 2021 07:20 AM 
Virtuoso

I quit playing for probably close to a decade due to arthritis but now that I am retired I am doing my best to get back into it. One of the last things on my list was a strat (SSS). I looked at Fenders and I could not justify spending $750 - $1600 for a lego snap together guitar with and obnoxious bolt neck heel. I did look at the Squire Affinity series but my concern there was build quality and quality of materials. The last thing I want is to be dealing with a neck or body made of improperly cured wood and a 3rd fret scarf joint. The neck never really settles down and the bodies are prone to cracking as the wood's moisture level drops to ambient levels.

Just by chance I came across a Vantage VIE-10 at Guitar Sinner for $109. I decided to take the plunge. There was something goofy in their site's math. It was supposed to cost me around $149 all totaled but in the checkout it was $137. I decided to keep my mouth shut. :D At most the only thing I will definitely change is the tuners as they are just cheap covered gear. Depending on how the pickups sound I may replace them with Fender Tex-Mex pickups. I'll keep you posted.

http://www.vantage-guitars.com/mik-vie-10/

Post subject: Re: MIK Vantage VIE-10
PostPosted: Wed 14 Jul 2021 08:12 PM 
Virtuoso

Could be interesting Neal. :wink:

Hey, if you're in the mood for a Strat-y config you could also keep your eyes peeled for one of the Westone Concord models. Very light and comfy to play and gives ya all the quack ya need. And of course it's a Mats build so no worries there.

I swapped out the pups in my Concord II for a set of Warman Texas Triple Hots to get a bit more umph but the stock ones don't sound bad at all.

Image Image Image Image

PostPosted: Wed 14 Jul 2021 09:39 PM 
Virtuoso

Anything Matsumoku is the joy of greedy sellers. Found one. Check out the price. From UK so shipping is high.

https://reverb.com/item/30648835-weston ... 980s-white

PostPosted: Thu 15 Jul 2021 07:36 AM 
Virtuoso

It's a shame the word Matsumoku seems to triple the price. Once these guitars were little known treasures. I'll keep looking for a Concord III. Who knows, I might get lucky like I did with the VIE-10.

In typical Guitar Sinner (Guitar Center) fashion they didn't even plug this thing in before the sold it. The jack was loose and the hot and ground wires were crossed. :-o That and the tip contact on the jack was so loose you could break the connection by just wiggling the plug.

The tuners are definitely going. The pickups range around 7.6 kΩ.

No real damage, just a couple of nicks. I was wrong, this one was not MIK but made in Indonesia.

[EDIT]

This thing is getting a rewire. I don't understand the concept of a tone for neck and middle but none for bridge. :toopid: I am pretty sure I am going to replace the pickups. Instead of the normal VTT I plan to move the volume down one hole, remove one tone and make the other a master tone. Switching to a 3-way switch and installing a toggle for the middle so I can have the option of just neck and bridge or all three at once. The body could use some shielding as well. I get hum even though there is nothing near me that would create it. All my lights are LED.

None of this really bothers me though, I bought it for the husk to fill in later.

PostPosted: Thu 15 Jul 2021 11:39 AM 
Virtuoso

I know I am being wishy-washy. I think I will leave the 5-way in it and put a toggle in the original volume hole to enable the bridge pickup in the 4th position using all the pickups.

I thought I was going crazy. It feels like the high E is trying to fall off the edge of the fingerboard. I think I found why. Not sure if I will need to replace it or fill the slot can cut a new one. Oh, nevermind the grease pencil overflow. That will be cleaned off when I do the upgrades and final setup.

What's wrong with this picture?

Attachment:
what's_wrong.jpg
what's_wrong.jpg [ 53.06 KiB | Viewed 1201 times ]

Another thing that proves Guitar Sinner is incompetent. When I went to adjust the truss rod in the process of lowering the action my heart jumped up in my throat for a second. The nut was loose! At first I thought "Oh Fekk" the truss is broken. Luckily nope. It was just backed out all the way. A little tension and I was able to get the action where it should be.

Now I am just waiting on some Wilkinson Hot pickups, 6-inline locking tuners and shielding paint.

PostPosted: Thu 15 Jul 2021 09:46 PM 
Virtuoso

Crusty- did you already order the pickups? I have lots, can send you something gratis if you need it.

-Steve W.

PostPosted: Fri 16 Jul 2021 06:58 AM 
Virtuoso

Thanks Numbfingers!

I've already ordered the pickups. I went with the Wilkinson Hot pickups.

PostPosted: Fri 16 Jul 2021 09:54 AM 
Virtuoso

Crusty wrote:
...What's wrong with this picture?
Um, the slots were cut with a chain saw? :-?

Quote:
...Guitar Sinner is incompetent.
We don't have this chain in Canada but I do follow "The Guitologist" on YouTube.

For a long time he retrieved all kinds of perfectly good electronics and even guitars from the local store's dumpster!

It looked more like they'd rather have a tax write off for alleged "broken" merchandise than fix the darn thing or return it to stock. It certainly speaks to either the laziness or the incompetence of the organization.
Quote:
Anything Matsumoku is the joy of greedy sellers. Found one. Check out the price. From UK so shipping is high.
Shipping is always a killer for just about anything anywhere. The local supply seems to have dried up and you have to go to eBay or Reverb these days.

I sometimes think we've done ourselves in with our love and support of Mats guitars.
I haven't seen another Concord locally since I got mine in 2009!

No Westones of note really, since I got my last one, a Spectrum LX, in 2017, and it was abused and battered requiring some significant fixing.

Same story for MIJ Vantage.

PostPosted: Fri 16 Jul 2021 10:59 AM 
Virtuoso

The slots are about the right size but whoever cut them was cross-eyed or drunk. Normally a jig is used to start the slots then slot files from there. Not on this one. I was able to nudge the saddles over towards the bass side which helped. Still not sure if I will be fixing or replacing the nut. Time will tell.

Yeah, I think we shot ourselves in the foot with this site. At least it was great while it lasted. Uncle Mats were sorely underappreciated.

PostPosted: Fri 16 Jul 2021 02:39 PM 
Virtuoso

The bass E does look a bit tortured heading towards the post eh? :eek2:

Yeah, you've done a great job with this site and we've had some terrific members over the years. Lord knows I've learned a lot. Sad to see such a drop off in both instrument availability and contributions.

Sadly the same is true for the Westone site. Regulars have pretty much gone and the newbies are generally showing up with MIK versions which aren't too bad.

Or worse, MIC rubbish knock offs of traditional Gibsons and Fenders. :evil: