The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Fri 29 Mar 2024 12:28 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Sat 01 Oct 2022 05:48 PM 
Virtuoso

I just succumbed to another GAS attack... :hyper:

Closed a deal on the big brother to my MA-30 that appears from the pics to be in very good to excellent condition - with case and shipping. This model - HSS - is with coil split plus a boost circuit (that the 30 doesn't have) probably built in the early 90's. One of the main reasons that I just had to have it was the color - the same as my MA-30 (OK, the asking price DID play a minor role :roll:... My Son has my MA-30 for a project right now - he REALLY likes it and I just hope to get it back :argue: ! More pics when it gets here.

Please move this to the "Members Treasures" if necessary.

Attachments:
MA-40small.jpg
MA-40small.jpg [ 78.41 KiB | Viewed 606 times ]

Uncle Mats ES-500, RS Wildcat, RSB Deluxe, FS-750, Magna MA 30 (non-Mat), TA-61 non-Mat), a Westone limited run/proto Thunder and an OAKLAND (Westone) XI100.

Pete
PostPosted: Sun 02 Oct 2022 12:20 PM 
Virtuoso

That colour finish is really nice!

PostPosted: Mon 03 Oct 2022 07:06 AM 
Virtuoso

Yup, that reverse burst has something going for it. :up:

PostPosted: Thu 06 Oct 2022 08:32 AM 
Virtuoso

Does anyone have a catalog for this MA series from the early 90s. I have one of those with two single coils + dummy coil in the center, vari-phase control and bridge/stop tail combination.
I would like to know the model number, but couldn't find any information.
(actually I was never a fan of this reverse burst finish, but it sounds and plays great)

PostPosted: Sun 09 Oct 2022 02:12 PM 
Virtuoso

Got it day before yesterday, cleaned it up a bit and checked the setup. Needs new strings and a fret dressing will soon be needed but otherwise pretty much how I like my guitars. A new battery (takes 2) was needed to get sound out of it. From what I've found so far, it was only offered/built in 1991.

The center PU is a "slave" and the two tone pots are center detent. The pickups sound great to me in all settings, but I'm waiting for my son to get over for his opinion, as I was running it thru my small Peavey Backstage Plus with its 10in stock speaker (someday, I'll get around to swapping the Celestion Ten 30 (China) that has been sitting around for ages).

Attachments:
DSCF6752s.jpg
DSCF6752s.jpg [ 78.77 KiB | Viewed 568 times ]
DSCF6751s.jpg
DSCF6751s.jpg [ 78.88 KiB | Viewed 568 times ]
DSCF6750s.jpg
DSCF6750s.jpg [ 79.09 KiB | Viewed 568 times ]

Uncle Mats ES-500, RS Wildcat, RSB Deluxe, FS-750, Magna MA 30 (non-Mat), TA-61 non-Mat), a Westone limited run/proto Thunder and an OAKLAND (Westone) XI100.

Pete
PostPosted: Sun 09 Oct 2022 02:14 PM 
Virtuoso

The brothers together. MA-40 on the right.

Attachments:
DSCF6753s.jpg
DSCF6753s.jpg [ 77.18 KiB | Viewed 568 times ]

Pete
PostPosted: Sun 09 Oct 2022 02:41 PM 
Virtuoso

A couple of nasty R&R machines there Pete! :D
You said the MA40 has a "boost circuit". Do ya think it is the same circuitry as the Westone Thunder active series? My Thunder IA's both take 2 x 9 volt batteries as well.
https://westoneguitars.net/fixme/wiring-diagrams/westone-active-circuits/

PostPosted: Mon 10 Oct 2022 12:41 AM 
Virtuoso

Sometimes waiting pays off… I finally found the guitar in a catalog, it’s a MA-700ST:

https://brochures.yokochou.com/guitar-a ... jp_04.html

This center dent controls are called “HAC” circuit… whatever that stands for… but it makes the guitar really versatile.

PostPosted: Mon 10 Oct 2022 08:07 AM 
Virtuoso

Wutz wrote:
Sometimes waiting pays off… I finally found the guitar in a catalog, it’s a MA-700ST:

https://brochures.yokochou.com/guitar-a ... jp_04.html

This center dent controls are called “HAC” circuit… whatever that stands for… but it makes the guitar really versatile.

Close - gets back to the statemant "subject to change". The 700ST has a stop-tail, and the 800 has the Floyd copy - both in gold - whereas the MA-40 is with the Floyd copy (NO "licensed by ...") in black.

I looked into the back. The amp is fully potted, which would make any future repairs impossible. There is also no way to cut out the power short of disconnecting the batteries, and, as it is set up - no battery = no sound.

Attachments:
DSCF6755.jpg
DSCF6755.jpg [ 77.29 KiB | Viewed 561 times ]
DSCF6754.jpg
DSCF6754.jpg [ 76.85 KiB | Viewed 561 times ]

Pete
PostPosted: Tue 11 Oct 2022 08:19 AM 
Virtuoso

ExFender wrote:
Close - gets back to the statemant "subject to change". The 700ST has a stop-tail, and the 800 has the Floyd copy - both in gold - whereas the MA-40 is with the Floyd copy (NO "licensed by ...") in black.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I was mentioning my guitar... the MA-40 popping up here made me look for the model number of my MA-? again... and this time I found a catalog. :)
The thing the two guitars have in common is the shape, the circuit board and the strange looking reverse burst.

Attachment:
File comment: MA-700ST
Aria_Pro_II_Magna.jpeg
Aria_Pro_II_Magna.jpeg [ 5.13 KiB | Viewed 556 times ]