The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Fri 29 Mar 2024 12:07 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: aria pe rx80
PostPosted: Sat 17 Mar 2012 12:05 PM 
Virtuoso

I know you're looking specifically at the RX80 but there are other models of the PE available. There's a green Royale on ebay right now that just about looks like a custom model. I can't tell if its a set or thru neck from the pics but it aint a bolt neck. I'm sure the specs are on line.
This one is gorgeous and comes with a hardshell case for $500. :rockwoot:

PM sent.

PostPosted: Sat 17 Mar 2012 06:10 PM 
Axe Slinger

Jorg wrote:
I know you're looking specifically at the RX80 but there are other models of the PE available. There's a green Royale on ebay right now that just about looks like a custom model. I can't tell if its a set or thru neck from the pics but it aint a bolt neck. I'm sure the specs are on line.
This one is gorgeous and comes with a hardshell case for $500. :rockwoot:

PM sent.

It IS gorgeous, and I've had to fight the temptation to hit the, "Place Bid," button.

I just blew an opportunity to buy an early 80's R80 back about 11 or 12 years ago for under $400 and I've been kicking myself ever since. Now that I've got a little money I'd like to put it towards either a vintage R80 or the RX80. Or a PE Anniversary. I'm a sucker for abalone. :wink:

I guess my preferences would be 1.) Vintage R80, 2.)RX80, 3.) PE Anniversary.

darn, but I love those PE guitars. If I won the lottery I'd get one of each... (Unfortunately for me I can only get one more right now. At least that's one more than I've been able to go after for the last 5 years.)

PostPosted: Fri 30 Mar 2012 03:44 PM 
Axe Slinger

My $.02 is: be patient and wait for the vintage R80. I entertained the RX-80 and even got close making an offer on one of the B-stock ones out there. I didn't because of the reasons stated;

1) The value would drop so if I wasn't happy I'd be stuck (I don't see any used RX's out there yet). If for whatever reason I wasn't happy with the vintage axe, I could easily resell it without losing my shirt so long as the price I paid was reasonably fair.

2) Like you, I could only get one, the RX-80 wasn't what I really wanted, so why settle?

Just my opinions, of course :D

PostPosted: Fri 30 Mar 2012 11:18 PM 
Axe Slinger

Whiskey wrote:
My $.02 is: be patient and wait for the vintage R80. I entertained the RX-80 and even got close making an offer on one of the B-stock ones out there. I didn't because of the reasons stated;

1) The value would drop so if I wasn't happy I'd be stuck (I don't see any used RX's out there yet). If for whatever reason I wasn't happy with the vintage axe, I could easily resell it without losing my shirt so long as the price I paid was reasonably fair.

2) Like you, I could only get one, the RX-80 wasn't what I really wanted, so why settle?

Just my opinions, of course :D

At this point I'm wondering if I can even afford an R80. The guy with the guitar in Japan (the one that had been listed on ebay) won't come down to the price I can pay (we're close, but I'm throwing it all on the table, but it's not good enough for him). If that guitar were in better shape I wouldn't mind spending the $800 on it, but the back is fairly chipped and has a lot of buckle rash, and the machine heads are pretty badly corroded. And I really can't be 100% certain that the thing doesn't have other issues. The seller is just saying, "No problems," with the guitar. That's pretty vague.

That's the kind of thing that scares me about buying a vintage model. If it is screwed up (warped neck or something like that) I can't sell it for $800 and I'd likely be out a couple hundred dollars. On the other hand, if I buy a brand new RX80 (which would include a hardshell case) I'm pretty darned sure it's going to be a rather nice guitar and I know it will be in perfect condition, so even though it goes down in value for several years I'd still have a great guitar to play.

I just need another $800 so I don't have to make this decision. :wink:

Anyone want to buy an old comic book collection for $800? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller? :D

Seriously, though, I'm REALLY torn on this one. I don't know what to do. With my timing I'd buy the RX80 and a vintage R80 would show up at $700. Then again, I could hold out and have no affordable R80's show up and the guy with the new RX80's would sell out of them and then I'd be SOL. All things being equal I'd rather have a vintage Matsumoku made R80 in good shape (not perfect, but straight neck with the fretboard and frets i good shape and no fret buzz) than a pristine new RX80, but am I going to find a vintage R80 in that kind of condition for $750 or so?

It just kind of feels like whatever I do it's going to be the wrong decision.

PostPosted: Sat 31 Mar 2012 06:38 AM 
Virtuoso

Eric...

I have learned that deals are always available to the one who is patient.... There will always be another that will show up...

As for the warp necks.... Have not seen one vintage Mat that I could not bring perfectly straight....knock on wood! I would be more worried with a new guitar for these issues....

Price wise, the vintage PE will always have more value and is the original, not a re-issue or a copy.....

Plus its a real Mat....