The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Fri 29 Mar 2024 07:20 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: aria pe rx80
PostPosted: Sat 23 Jul 2011 07:42 PM 
Power Chorder

Hey everybody I've been checking out the reissue on aria's site of the pe r80 and it looks pretty darn nice. I know it's probably made in china or something so I was just wanting to know if any of you have experience with this guitar; and if so could you tell me about it i.e. sound, feel, build quality? thanks a lot :)

Post subject: Re: aria pe rx80
PostPosted: Sat 31 Dec 2011 12:15 AM 
Virtuoso

There are three re-issues of the PE-R80 out right now:

1. PE-R80 - Made in Japan
2. PE-R80KV - Made in Japan
3. PE-RX80 - Made Elsewhere

I played the Japan made PE-R80... a nice guitar, but the stock pickups are a bit of a let down. Aria's quality control is not bad, so I would guess that this comment would be true for the PE-RX80 as well.

PostPosted: Sat 17 Mar 2012 02:01 AM 
Axe Slinger

I've wanted a PE-R80 for years, but I've never found one locally, and all of the R80's that I've found on ebay were not in my price range.

Sooooo...

I am seriously considering picking up a new RX80. From all the specs I've seen it's the same as the old R80s, just made in Korea. I can get it new with a case for a pretty good price, but I'd still rather have an R80 in decent shape (as would most of you, I'd imagine).

I guess my question would be what is the general perception of the RX80? I've got to think that it's a damned good guitar, but is it as good as the old R80's??

(On a side note, I'd also love to get a PE-Anniversary model. They're very, very nice looking - flashy, but still fairly classy.)

This topic was brought up a few months ago, so I've got to think that someone here has gotten their hands on an RX80. If you did, what do you think?

PostPosted: Sat 17 Mar 2012 09:09 AM 
Virtuoso

Well since you say that The PE-R80 is never in your price range and the RX80 is.... I would go with the RX80...

Some serious good instruments come from Korea, we dont talk much about them here since its for Japan Mats guitars but lots of great ones come from Cort and Samick when you look at the top of the lines,,, :love:

I say go with it and post her back here... :P

PostPosted: Sat 17 Mar 2012 09:33 AM 
Axe Slinger

Frenchy wrote:
Well since you say that The PE-R80 is never in your price range and the RX80 is.... I would go with the RX80...

I probably shouldn't have stated that as, "Never," as that's probably an overstatement. I haven't seen one with a total cost under $800, and I can get the RX80 shipped (new, with a hard shell case) for $800. I'm seriously torn on this one. First and foremost I want a PE (and the R80 is the model I've always wanted), but the RX80 sure looks like it's as good as the classic early 80's guitars. Looks are sometimes deceiving with guitars, though.

The other thing is something my brother brought up. The collector's value of an R80 is going to go up, while the value of the RX80 is likely to drop once I take possession of it and it's no longer new. I'd be buying it mostly just to have it and play it and I'm not looking to make a profit, but someday, when I've got arthritis in my fingers and I can't play anymore, I would like to be able to get my money back out of the guitar (adjusted for inflation). Is there a huge collectors bias against the Korean RX80's? Or will it eventually hold it's value so I won't lose half my money? Obviously, those are a couple loaded questions, but I'm curious as to what the feelings are among those in the know about Aria guitars.

I haven't been on this board in years, so I'm a little out of touch. (I've been buying other types of instruments for my family, and my disposable income that I used for guitars diminished at the same time, so my guitar collecting has taken a back seat for about 4 years.)

Anyway, thanks for your help!

PostPosted: Sat 17 Mar 2012 09:54 AM 
Virtuoso

B5Erik wrote:
I probably shouldn't have stated that as, "Never," as that's probably an overstatement. I haven't seen one with a total cost under $800, and I can get the RX80 shipped (new, with a hard shell case) for $800.

I hear ya.. I missed out on a R80 myself and prices are more now... Me, personally, I settled on a PE-R60 in the meantime...I really like it but have lots of instruments to play with so I`m very patient for that special deal to come..

What your brother said is true... the RX80 will drop in value but I say it will gain afterwards... Most of my Korean instruments are worth 3 to 4 times the original price tage...that being said when you buy the right ones, the top of the line ones... Re=issued instruments from the big names also gain in value... the orinal instrument will always remain the desired one.

With 800$ in my pocket...I would most likely save up a little more or be a little more patient and go for the real thing... If the RX was on special or you got a great deal 2nd hand... then I would get it.... I have no clue what the RX retails for... is the 800$ a great deal to begin with....

PostPosted: Sat 17 Mar 2012 10:14 AM 
Axe Slinger

Frenchy wrote:
B5Erik wrote:
I probably shouldn't have stated that as, "Never," as that's probably an overstatement. I haven't seen one with a total cost under $800, and I can get the RX80 shipped (new, with a hard shell case) for $800.

I hear ya.. I missed out on a R80 myself and prices are more now... Me, personally, I settled on a PE-R60 in the meantime...I really like it but have lots of instruments to play with so I`m very patient for that special deal to come..

What your brother said is true... the RX80 will drop in value but I say it will gain afterwards... Most of my Korean instruments are worth 3 to 4 times the original price tage...that being said when you buy the right ones, the top of the line ones... Re=issued instruments from the big names also gain in value... the orinal instrument will always remain the desired one.

With 800$ in my pocket...I would most likely save up a little more or be a little more patient and go for the real thing... If the RX was on special or you got a great deal 2nd hand... then I would get it.... I have no clue what the RX retails for... is the 800$ a great deal to begin with....

The cheapest I've seen a new RX80 (without case) is $900, and usually they're going for $1100+. $800 with a case (free shipping, too) is damned good.

So, yeah, I could save up for another several months (or a year) and maybe find an 80s R80, or I can take advantage of this deal now. That's why I'm torn. The RX80's look amazingly good, and they wouldn't require the likely restoration work that a classic R80 would need (fixing the chips in the finish, possibly replacing hardware with vintage stuff - which isn't easy to find, etc).

Six of one, half a dozen of the other. Tough decision.

PostPosted: Sat 17 Mar 2012 10:46 AM 
Virtuoso

Where are you located?
If you're in Sweden, I can probably hook you up with an R80 at a decent price if you can be a bit patient.

If not, I'd suggest looking at buying straight from Japan. Prices vary wildly over there, but with a bit of luck and correct timing, you can get one at a very affordable price.
(It's the Matsu R80 I'm talking about)

PostPosted: Sat 17 Mar 2012 11:18 AM 
Axe Slinger

Ohjay wrote:
Where are you located?
If you're in Sweden, I can probably hook you up with an R80 at a decent price if you can be a bit patient.

If not, I'd suggest looking at buying straight from Japan. Prices vary wildly over there, but with a bit of luck and correct timing, you can get one at a very affordable price.
(It's the Matsu R80 I'm talking about)

I'm in Southern California.

There is an R80 on ebay right now, but it's in Japan and the shipping is the deal breaker (the back is nicked up and chipped a bit, and the machine heads look a little corroded, but that can be fixed - the $155 for shipping is what puts it out of reach for me).

What's the best way to get one from Japan? I've checked the Yahoo auctions, but they're all in Japanese and the impression I get is that they only want to sell within Japan. Are there any other sites to check for R80's in Japan?

PostPosted: Sat 17 Mar 2012 11:52 AM 
Virtuoso

B5Erik wrote:
What's the best way to get one from Japan? I've checked the Yahoo auctions, but they're all in Japanese and the impression I get is that they only want to sell within Japan. Are there any other sites to check for R80's in Japan?

You use a bidding service to buy from Japan. They take care of payment, interaction with the seller, etc etc. All you need to do is bid through them and pay them and they take care of the rest. Lots of info about japanese bidding services out there, google is your friend.

$155 shipping is pretty standard to the US from Japan if you want fast shipping. The sea freight option is cheaper but it can be a long wait(several months).