The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Fri 29 Mar 2024 12:56 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Aria LPC 1976?
PostPosted: Fri 30 Nov 2018 12:50 PM 
Virtuoso

Another nice offering on the 'Bay, but there is a lack of proof. Model called "Tree of Life". No serial number anywhere visible, but it shore is purdy! The headstock inlay is nothing that I have seen and the seller claims that it may be right when aria went to the Pro II label. So far the price is OK no matter what year so take a look and let me know what ya'all think.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/E-Gitarre-Aria- ... 0009.m1982

Attachments:
Aria_LPCa.jpg [181.88 KiB]
Downloaded 71 times
Aria_LPC_ToL.jpg
Aria_LPC_ToL.jpg [ 255.05 KiB | Viewed 1333 times ]
Aria_LPC.jpg
Aria_LPC.jpg [ 347.24 KiB | Viewed 1333 times ]

Uncle Mats ES-500, RS Wildcat, RSB Deluxe, FS-750, Magna MA 30 (non-Mat), TA-61 non-Mat), a Westone limited run/proto Thunder and an OAKLAND (Westone) XI100.

Pete
 Post subject: Re: Aria LPC 1976?
PostPosted: Fri 30 Nov 2018 12:56 PM 
Virtuoso

Another view of the back and frets with some wear:

Attachments:
Aria_LPCc.jpg [242.98 KiB]
Downloaded 70 times
Aria_LPCb.jpg [218.72 KiB]
Downloaded 70 times

Uncle Mats ES-500, RS Wildcat, RSB Deluxe, FS-750, Magna MA 30 (non-Mat), TA-61 non-Mat), a Westone limited run/proto Thunder and an OAKLAND (Westone) XI100.

Pete
PostPosted: Fri 30 Nov 2018 10:33 PM 
Virtuoso

You're right, sure is purdy! :love:

PostPosted: Fri 30 Nov 2018 10:41 PM 
Virtuoso

Actually that is a PE-120.

Refer to the 1977 Aria Pro II catalog, the headstock design on those models is not fixed. You can get an idea when you look on the models page (PE (not prototype)).

PostPosted: Sat 01 Dec 2018 11:45 AM 
Virtuoso

T'cha!! Too many really nice Mats popping up on the 'Bay over the last month and lots of bidders for the models that start at a decent level. I'm hoping to sell some of my other hobby stuff as I'd really like to get this puppy AND the ELECORD in my other thread.

Pete

PostPosted: Sat 01 Dec 2018 12:27 PM 
Virtuoso

Just go ahead and send that to me. . . :drool:

You don't see too many of these and certainly not this nice. :love:

Quality service since 3:00 last Tuesday

PostPosted: Sun 02 Dec 2018 05:18 PM 
Virtuoso

:rofl: :D That LP has been preempted from my wish list by being sold for 678 Euros :cry: and has been "replaced" by a very nice TA-50 that I bumped into yesterday, WITH original case :hyper: . It appears to have been slightly modified with different PUs (or the covers have simply been removed) and another switch on the lower horn. I've already contacted the TA seller (item not on Fleabay but in a local newsrag) and have come to a temp agreement. In any case, I'll have to sell off some of my other hobby stuff to be able to afford ANYTHING else (Granddaughters BD and Xmas just around the corner).

'Course, if I get enough stuff sold, I'll just get ALL of them :loon: There are a whole BUNCH of Mats on the German auction site! Seems that a lot of people are selling their toys to get Christmas goodies.

Attachments:
TA-50.jpg [52.85 KiB]
Downloaded 52 times

Pete
PostPosted: Mon 03 Dec 2018 11:18 AM 
Virtuoso

You know, I like that one MUCH better anyway. But I think it's an ES750 or similar. :love:
http://matsumoku.org/models/ariaproii/c ... e.jpg.html
I remember seeing a Gibson ES-335 for the first time when I was 8 yrs old and I've wanted one ever since. I bought my first Aria Pro II guitar when I was 16 and found
they also make 335 style guitars. I've watched a few like this one in the hope I might be able to pick one up but I'm now 53 and have never owned one. :doh:

Quality service since 3:00 last Tuesday

PostPosted: Mon 03 Dec 2018 11:51 AM 
Virtuoso

That's modeled after the Gibson ES345/355 but does appear to have an extra mini switch. Likely a coil cut.

In the Gibson design the Varitone control is not a tone switch but a notch filter with a bypass at position #1. There is also a "choke" located under the bridge pickup which scoops out the frequency set by the switch.

If the original pickups in your guitar have been swapped out the choke may also have been removed? That would make the Varitone inactive, and explain the addition of the coil cut switch.

PostPosted: Mon 03 Dec 2018 06:25 PM 
Virtuoso

Jorg, I'm pretty sure it's the TA-50. All of the ES series have full binding and the TA-50 goes naked. The TA is also a stop-tail and has no center block. It was in the process of being re-strung when that full photo was taken. The finish also matches the catalog details.

Barry, I HOPE you're wrong about the PU's and Varitone. In any case, I've found a site that has original Gibson varitone switches - loaded and un-loaded that are affordable. I'll dig into my ES-500 as I'm finishing the set-up to see if it uses a choke and buy one if needed.

If it sounds like I'm planning to get this puppy, DING-DING-DING!:::: WINNAH!

Selling some of my model planes on Friday (under normal circumstances, something I'd NEVER do!) and already informed the seller. He said he'd hold it for two weeks :hyper:

Pete