The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Thu 28 Mar 2024 03:34 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: False ID
PostPosted: Thu 07 Jul 2022 01:23 PM 
Virtuoso

Pretty sure this is NOT an LS-600. Listed on Guitar Sinner (go figure).

Squared off SPT bridge, bell knobs and bird inlay. Probably Korean or Chinese.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Aria/ ... 7981392.gc

Attachment:
000000117981392-00-720x720.jpg
000000117981392-00-720x720.jpg [ 77.22 KiB | Viewed 631 times ]

Post subject: Re: False ID
PostPosted: Thu 07 Jul 2022 01:42 PM 
Virtuoso

Do doubt POST Mat. :toopid:

Quality service since 3:00 last Tuesday

PostPosted: Wed 22 Feb 2023 03:09 PM 
Prospective Member

Uh oh … I think I just bought this guitar! It will probably be ready to pick up at the local GC store here within a week. What do you all think I should do? I am far from knowledgeable about any vintage guitars, but I have wanted to get an old Japanese LP style one for some time. The Tokai models seem to be too expensive for me now, but the Arias I have seen are more affordable. Is this guitar definitely a non-Japanese Aria? If it is not an LS-600 (which seems to be hard to get any info about), why would anybody think that it is? Could this be a counterfeit? Just an ignorant mistake? Or what? I know I can just return it and be out the shipping cost. I don’t have any way to compare the quality with a genuine oldie since I have never actually seen one …

PostPosted: Wed 22 Feb 2023 03:35 PM 
Virtuoso

The LS-600 is covered here. Dot inlays, set neck, and transition gull-wing headstock. The LS-600 came with a booster circuit and on the D models loaded with DiMarzios.

http://www.matsumoku.org/cm_models/2021 ... on-models/

http://www.matsumoku.org/cm_models/2021 ... s-catalog/

Bird inlay on the headstock is post Matt. Likely Chinese or Korean.

I have a PE-350STD made in China that is a rather nice guitar. Not quite Japanese quality but much better than I expected. I gave $245 for it brand new and $29 shipping on Reverb. No way I'd send it back. It is a keeper and I didn't even have to change out the pickups, they sound great.

I take most listings with a grain of salt but when it comes to Guitar Sinner they are guilty until proven innocent.

Definitely misidentified. Depending on how much you paid I'd give it a try before returning it. Most likely it is a post Matt PE-350 CST.

PostPosted: Wed 22 Feb 2023 08:15 PM 
Prospective Member

Thanks very much! I may or may not ever see this guitar since I called GC to cancel the order. If I do get a look at it I will post my impressions here.

PostPosted: Wed 22 Feb 2023 08:34 PM 
Virtuoso

Believe it or not I contacted them about it before I posted this letting them know it was misidentified. No response and no change in the listing so I posted here.

I forgot how much they had it listed for. Do you mind me asking? If it was around $250 to $300 it is not a bad price for what it is.

Do keep us posted!

PostPosted: Thu 23 Feb 2023 11:08 AM 
Virtuoso

It's probably not a bad guitar at all. I have an Indonesian Gretsch that is fantastic, Bigsby and all! I got it shipped to my house it it's original box with all the plastic still on it for $366. It aint going anywhere. :D
The dead giveaways for me on this guitar: the ARIA font, shape of the head and the tailpiece is wider than the bridge.
Now, I believe there may have been some Mats PEs that used the wider tail but they were toward the end. IIRC, Wutz and I were discussing this a while back.

Quality service since 3:00 last Tuesday

PostPosted: Thu 23 Feb 2023 12:34 PM 
Virtuoso

Didn't look that close at the tail piece but you're right. Standard stop-bar tail piece. The Japanese PEs had the quick hook (although my Chinese does as well). squared off bridge ends is another clue. The Japanese bridges were round on the ends.

I'm sure it is a decent guitar. Aria is a bit like PRS in that they are directly involved with quality control for their import models. I have a PRS SE that is absolutely fantastic (made in Indonesia).

PostPosted: Fri 24 Feb 2023 03:37 PM 
Virtuoso

EugenePete,

If you are still looking for a Japanese LP style guitar you might look into this PE-450. Now it is painfully obvious the seller hasn't cleaned it since Elvis died and it is starting to show it's age. I have a PE-450 and would not trade it for anything, and I mean ANYTHING. The Wife or the guitar? Which will it be?

Darn, I'm really gonna miss her. :rofl:

The price is fairly reasonable considering what it is. The input jack and neck joint looks intact which is a plus with this design. I suspect the tuners have been changed out but that's hardly a deal breaker. But, and there is a but. Keep in mind you are buying a 45 year old guitar.

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=13761

PostPosted: Sat 25 Feb 2023 11:45 AM 
Virtuoso

Another to look into. I have one of these PE-R60s also and they are fantastic guitars.

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=13760