The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Sun 28 Apr 2024 05:34 PM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Mon 04 Dec 2023 07:41 PM 
Virtuoso

99.9% of my purchases are local...

Is the Missouri market not good ?

Plus, I would most likely go nuts if started shopping on those sites...lol

You dont mind all the shipping cost ?

PostPosted: Mon 04 Dec 2023 07:54 PM 
Virtuoso

I've only bought 1 in MO. Vantage VA800. I've looked at several as much as an hour away. Not a people person. I simply turned and walked away. Broken truss, hidden damage, and other things that were deal breakers and I was still out the gas and time.

When I look at something I ALSO look at the shipping. THEN I start my research and comparison.

PostPosted: Mon 04 Dec 2023 08:15 PM 
Virtuoso

Frenchy wrote:
99.9% of my purchases are local...

About 80% local for moi.

PostPosted: Tue 05 Dec 2023 06:03 PM 
Virtuoso

Reverb? expensive? :hyper:

https://reverb.com/item/73976701-aria-p ... j-japan-ak

:-D

PostPosted: Tue 05 Dec 2023 06:12 PM 
Virtuoso

You have to wade past the druggies, dimwits, dolts, daffies, morons, numbskulls, jackasses, chuckleheads, simpletons, pinheads, nimrods, nitwits, stupidos, clowns, nincompoops, fools and ignoramuses first.

To be sure, avoid ANY shop with the word "Vintage" in it!

PostPosted: Tue 05 Dec 2023 08:35 PM 
Virtuoso

But tell us how you really feel Crusty! :rofl: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue 05 Dec 2023 09:19 PM 
Virtuoso

There's just soooooo many! I know I missed some so they have my sincerest apology. :lol: You also meet the nicest people selling guitars on Reverb. NOT.

I've gotten some really good deals on Reverb though. I also have to expect to do a little work on a used instrument and take that into consideration. My clients were very picky and I guess it just rubbed off. I expect to have to set it up to my specifications.

PostPosted: Wed 06 Dec 2023 11:30 AM 
Virtuoso

Holly hell !

Id be rich if I sold my gear on Reverb !!! :eek2: :eek2: :eek2:

PostPosted: Thu 07 Dec 2023 05:00 PM 
Virtuoso

I don't look at active listings for a reference (although some are downright hilarious like this "lawsuit era" guitar). I look at SOLD listings. Just because some dipwad has a $300 guitar listed for $1200 does NOT mean it is worth $1200. But, there is occasionally that one joker with money to burn who is WILLING to pay $1200 for a $300 guitar then it IS worth $1200 and it is no longer a $300 guitar.

If you look at how long these grossly overpriced guitars are listed you'll likely find they have been stagnant for a LONG time.

I got this Cardinal for $317 including tax and shipping. Sold the good pickup and the mini toggles. I now have a CS-350 for a grand total of $272 including shipping and taxes with OHSC and that's after buying a new set of pickups for it.

Got a brand new Aria Pro II PE-350 Standard (set neck) for $283 including shipping and taxes when everyone else was asking $350.

This guitar has been listed for better than two years, has had over 4200 views and is still there. It's pretty obvious the seller really wants to keep it.

My first decent guitar was a Lincoln LP copy I got when I was 19. I've found only two in the last two years. Both wanted $500 or better for them. I let them keep them. As much as I'd like to have one the little voice in my head tells me "That's stupid! Don't do it idiot!" and I listen to the guy. He's smarter than I am. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu 07 Dec 2023 05:24 PM 
Virtuoso

To each his own I guess.
I think the key takeaway in any buying scenario here is "patience". Patience to keep looking, to wait for the right time (or funds!) and in some cases to negotiate if need be.

And of course being able to control the GAS itch when it rears its nasty little head in the continuing absence of what you really want!

In my case over the years it has been feast or famine, with the occasional new purchase out of frustration!

But I have to say on the whole it's been an enjoyable experience and I've met some really nice people (and a few "characters"), been to some interesting locations, and I've been rewarded with some outstanding instruments for more than reasonable money.

I really can't complain.