The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Sun 28 Apr 2024 06:27 PM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Epiphone Scroll
PostPosted: Tue 20 Feb 2024 03:33 PM 
Virtuoso

Unique guitar to be sure. Had one, nothing to write home about though. This won't go cheap!

https://shopgoodwill.com/item/191741376

Post subject: Re: Epiphone Scroll
PostPosted: Wed 21 Feb 2024 08:54 PM 
Virtuoso

Meh. Doesn't work for me.

Unusual for sure, but it looks like a luthier was bored one day and decided to throw a smorgasbord of traditional and modern elements together for poops n giggles!

I have to say that Epiphone has a long history with an impressive range of guitar designs and prices, both electric and acoustic.

I'm constantly seeing models for sale that I've not heard of before, and some of which I can do without. :toopid:

PostPosted: Sat 24 Feb 2024 09:44 PM 
Virtuoso

It went for just over $1G. That's about $150 for the guitar and $850 for foolishness. They really were MEH guitars. Play a Scroll then a Cardinal or VS-600 and at that very moment is when the Scroll starts collecting dust and rust. I had mine maybe 3 weeks, at most a month. Now an Electra Working Man or Vantage Ghost may have also been Plain Janes they were fantastic instruments. Still have the Ghost. Paid $150 for it with OHSC.

There's a reason I go after more recent unsung gems. I simply can't afford the Mats any more. They are now relegated to those with more money. Much more.

PostPosted: Sat 24 Feb 2024 10:42 PM 
Virtuoso

Crusty wrote:
There's a reason I go after more recent unsung gems. I simply can't afford the Mats any more
I feel your pain.
I count myself lucky that I have as many Mats guitars as I do, all of 'em are way too pricey now for this old pensioner. That is, if you can find 'em locally any more.

I have the same lament about Danelectro and Vintage, two other favourites both now out of reach. :cry:

(p.s. you can add Ovation to that short list too)

PostPosted: Sat 24 Feb 2024 11:45 PM 
Virtuoso

Many of the once scoffed and now sought after guitars have become this way. I had a Parker Fly Deluxe I gave $300 for including contoured OHSC. People hated them and made fund of them, they even made fun of mine until I shoved it in their hands. You would not believe what people are asking for them now. Same goes for the Hohner Revelation guitars. $200 with OHSC. Now they seldom dip below $1G. I snagged 3 Vibracell guitars which are now going in that direction, likely just in time.

PostPosted: Sun 25 Feb 2024 11:07 AM 
Virtuoso

Crusty wrote:
Many of the once scoffed and now sought after guitars have become this way. I had a Parker Fly Deluxe I gave $300 for including contoured OHSC. People hated them and made fund of them, they even made fun of mine until I shoved it in their hands. You would not believe what people are asking for them now. . .
Oh yes I would! I have a Parker PM20 (MIK) which is beautifully designed and built, and unbelievably comfortable to play. Although it ain't a Fly it's as close as I'm ever going to get to owning one.
I'm on the new Parker forum and the FLY owners are an intensely devoted bunch, determined to keep these unique guitars in top repair, something that is not an easy thing to do. Not much about these babies resembles traditional guitar construction! For Fly owners it's once bitten, infected for life.

My PM-20 -- Click for full size
Image Image

PostPosted: Fri 08 Mar 2024 09:58 AM 
Virtuoso

Crusty wrote:
I had a Parker Fly Deluxe I gave $300 for including contoured OHSC. People hated them and made fund of them, they even made fun of mine until I shoved it in their hands.

I paid a little more for mine. It's a beautiful playing guitar, but you have to like the DiMarzio sound. There was a later model with Seymour Duncan pickups, but I never had the chance to try. Anyway, it's important to get this right from the start, since you can't really swap the pickups on this guitar (they are special design without "ears" for mounting).

PostPosted: Fri 08 Mar 2024 10:04 AM 
Virtuoso

I don't recall what was in mine but they didn't sound bad at all.

PostPosted: Fri 08 Mar 2024 03:59 PM 
Virtuoso

Not bad, but usually I prefer pickups with a bit more sparkle in the top end. This might be me never tried the right model... but DiMarzio usually are great for overdrive or all out meltdown... but clean sounds is where most of them are not that great.

PostPosted: Fri 08 Mar 2024 04:35 PM 
Virtuoso

One nice thing about the Helix is the option to change the input impedance and there is also a pad option for high output pickups which also helps. The input impedance setting was actually designed to pair up with pedals in front of it but it also attenuates the signal some.