The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Sun 28 Apr 2024 04:30 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 9 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri 23 Feb 2024 02:21 PM 
Virtuoso

I've bought a few guitars from Murder Go Round and for the most part came out smelling like roses, but there again I consider the "stupid" I will probably have to reverse or remove when looking at the price and shipping.

I sent them a message several days ago that they should correct a painfully obvious faux pas and update the pics but no response. I can't possibly be the only person that noticed this. Look closely at the G string at the bridge and tell me what you see. Methinks it has not been "tested and is fully functional." Can you imagine the fret rattle on that string if it even clears the frets? Another thing, it is a Carlo Robelli HB-1 (I have one) but the PO put a sticker over the logo and installed Grover Imperial tuners (or knockoffs). After comparing to mine (stock tuners) I just bet there are leftover tuner holes on the back of the headstock which they "forgot" to get pics of. :toopid:

There is a trick most Moron Go Round owners don't know about. If you right click an image and open it in a new tab then backspace over "?auto=compress,format&fit=clip&w=800" leaving the rest of the URL there and press ENTER it will load the original resolution of the image that shows a LOT more detail. Just click it to zoom in or out. Good deals can be had there but it requires a great deal of scrutiny. :look:

Moral of the story is if you can fit Murder, Moron, Misfit, Mincemeat, Misaligned, Meathead or Mangled in the store's name be afraid. Be very afraid. :rofl:

https://www.musicgoround.com/product/40 ... ric-guitar

Attachment:
carlo_robelli_laughable_g.jpg
carlo_robelli_laughable_g.jpg [ 48.56 KiB | Viewed 113 times ]

PostPosted: Fri 23 Feb 2024 03:54 PM 
Virtuoso

Quote:
If you right click an image and open it in a new tab then backspace over "?auto=compress,format&fit=clip&w=800" leaving the rest of the URL there and press ENTER it will load the original resolution of the image
Thanks for the tip. I find that opening image in another tab, then simply holding down the Ctrl key while rolling the mouse wheel gives as much magnification as I need for most images, especially if I'm trolling through a bunch of ads. Saves a bit of editing.
But many of the pix on Kijiji, CL, etc, are less than hi rez to begin with and the result is just a larger version of a fuzzy picture! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri 23 Feb 2024 05:42 PM 
Virtuoso

CTRL+Scroll is just browser zoom and only enlarges the image you're already seeing and won't increase resolution. The trick I use works mostly on Murder Go Round and Reverb.

PostPosted: Fri 23 Feb 2024 06:01 PM 
Virtuoso

Actually there are other pictures where the G string is clearing the frets and the string spacing looks like the string is actually on its saddle.

Anyway, the bridge is more source of concern... if the octave is setting properly on the guitar... or maybe some of the saddles reached the end of travel before the octave was set?

I haven't bought a guitar in the last 9 years, but the setup was always the first to check in the pictures. If it doesn't look right, it's most likely the reason for selling (if sold from private). But the main question to ask with the pictures, can it be easily corrected... or do you have to re-seat the bridge.

PostPosted: Fri 23 Feb 2024 06:03 PM 
Virtuoso

Crusty wrote:
CTRL+Scroll is just browser zoom and only enlarges the image you're already seeing and won't increase resolution.

Yeah, I understand that. :wink:
It's a great tip, but only works on sites that have previously compressed the image prior to displaying.

On a site like Kijiji, and I would say most sites, that's not the case and the reverse is usually the case where the image is reduced in size (pixels) to fit the web page layout and the Ctrl + Scroll returns it to its original size. . .and beyond, to the land of Fuzz! :rofl:

PostPosted: Fri 23 Feb 2024 06:30 PM 
Virtuoso

Very true. GC is one of the WORST. I think they're using a kid's 2 megapixel phone to take their pics. And, they act like taking multiple pictures costs them money. One pic don't sell a guitar!

PostPosted: Fri 23 Feb 2024 06:35 PM 
Virtuoso

Wutz wrote:
Actually there are other pictures where the G string is clearing the frets and the string spacing looks like the string is actually on its saddle.

Anyway, the bridge is more source of concern... if the octave is setting properly on the guitar... or maybe some of the saddles reached the end of travel before the octave was set?

I haven't bought a guitar in the last 9 years, but the setup was always the first to check in the pictures. If it doesn't look right, it's most likely the reason for selling (if sold from private). But the main question to ask with the pictures, can it be easily corrected... or do you have to re-seat the bridge.

Pretty much how I look at it too. I've passed up quite a few because something just didn't look right. On a few I've had to replace the bridge with one that allows more travel for the saddles to get the intonation right. I really hate ABR1 bridges and anything like them. Not sure what gauge strings these guitars were designed for but what's on it ain't it.

Several I bought I knew going in there would be work involved but I'm geared up to do just about everything except refinishes.

I had an Aria dealer contact Aria and sadly they do not sell their SPT bridges as parts. :cry:

PostPosted: Fri 08 Mar 2024 09:39 AM 
Virtuoso

Crusty wrote:
I had an Aria dealer contact Aria and sadly they do not sell their SPT bridges as parts. :cry:

The new version of the SPT bridge isn't that great. Since the spacing doesn't fit the older PEs, there's no reason to look at those. For newer Arias you will find Gotoh hardware that does a better job.

PostPosted: Fri 08 Mar 2024 10:01 AM 
Virtuoso

I wasn't thinking of using the newer SPT on a Matt. Both Gotoh and Scahller make one that will drop right in, done it a few times for badly corroded bridges.

There is little out there for newer guitars that allow for that much saddle travel and one thing the modern day Asian manufacturers have trouble with is getting the bridge placement exact or they use ABR1 clones (the worst bridge ever conceived) and don't allow for string gauge changes with correct intonation. Some I can flip the saddles around on but it would be simpler to put a bridge on with more saddle travel. I really hate messing with those retaining wires on the ABR1 and clones. Fiddle, cuss, fight, cuss, fiddle, cuss, fight, cuss and then FINALLY it goes in place just before I throw it against the wall.

Both Cort and Ibanez made a bridge similar to the SPT but those are not available as parts either. The Harmonica bridges I've found all seem to be for SAE and not metric spacing.